1 Ton rear hubs

A question for you guys with 1 ton trucks.  

Yesterday when we were reassembling the rear brakes and hubs on Kris’s truck there was some confusion regarding how the bearings get lubricated. When we disassembled them there was no evidence of grease in the bearings, but had axle oil in there. I didn’t think anything about it at the time since every other full floating axle I’ve worked on lubricated the bearings with axle oil. However, upon reassembly I realized that the outer seal would keep the axle oil out of the bearings. I read through the shop manual and finally found reference to grease packing the rear bearings in the Lubrication section. So I packed them with grease. 

Were the bearings full of oil because the outer seals had failed, thus diluting any remaining grease to remove any evidence of it? I’m not used to seeing an outer seal to keep oil out of the bearings. Has anyone left the outer seal out and let the bearings get lubricated with axle oil, like a more modern axle?

Merle

I packed mine with bearing grease before reassembly. I figured they are like the front and need to be packed periodically. 

I woud suspect the second part of your statement to be true..... but I am not 100% sure, sorry. 

Modern full-floating axles are designed so that the differential and hub bearings are lubricated with gear oil.  The 1-ton axle has a chamber bounded by hub oil seals to keep the grease and gear oil separate.  This axle design means excess oil in the differential is separated from ambient conditions by that paper gasket at the axle shaft flange as well as those oil seals.  Seal failure could mean gear oil could leak out, as well as not circulate for any contaminates to settle anywhere but within the hub bearings, leading to premature failure.  Modern axles are designed with a relief to allow for this circulation to prolong bearing life...at least that's the word on the street :cool:

• Like 1