loose dash light switch contact rivets

3046moparcoupe

I just went through this dash light switch, cleaned it up, greased it, painted the exterior, and today was pulling the masking tape off to get ready to stick it inside the dash and I noticed a had a little looseness in both of the contact L screw brackets. Not much but just enough to see - if you wiggled them with your finger. 

Taped up my paint job to try and avoid loosing as much paint as possible and pulled it apart again. (Tried the one rivet punch tool I do own but it was a little large and didn't help any ). Then took my hole punch pliers and a small washer (to try and avoid damaging/cutting the rivet up), some masking tape over the opposing contact side, and gave each a squeeze.

It tightened 'em both up, feels like a 100% improvement from where they were, (just using slight finger pressure they don't move now),...but knowing that they will have to survive wire attachment torque with a screw driver when installed - it seemed wise to try and secure them as well as possible. Thought about trying to solder down on top of them. Got my soldering iron out and experimented with trying to stick silver solder to a brass washer,..the solder did finally stick, (but I use the word loosely - I could pick at it and after a few minutes - the solder would come off)….still thought maybe soldering over the top of the rivet head would at least sandwich it in and give it a little more strength...as it would lightly stick to the rivet head but should stick well to the steel L brkt terminals..?

Anyone out there got any ideas ?? A better way ??  Leave it alone as is ?? A little dab of something like a JB weld epoxy ?? Just go ahead and try to find another switch ??

All reply's welcome and appreciated, thanks again.

Steve

100_5322.JPG

100_5323.JPG

100_5325.JPG

Hey Bud,

Personally, I would leave it alone. The phenolic piece they are riveted too is fragile. Any attempt to tighten the rivets may crack or break it. However, if it bothers you that much, try a small brass drift and lightly tap on the terminal side of the rivets. Or you can try a small dab of super glue on the terminal side. As long as the rivet is not in danger of turning and contacting the other terminal, or coming off the board, I would leave it alone.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree—that phenolic sheet is semi-fragile at best, and age won’t make it any stronger. I certainly wouldn’t recommend pounding on the terminals too much. When connecting the wires to the terminals, try holding the terminals with a pair of pliers in the “east-west” plane while you tighten the screws to the terminals in the “north-south” plane. There’s most likely minimal movement at that junction, if any. So, I wouldn’t worry about it. Regards to you . . .

• Thanks 1

I agree with the pounding thing, that's why using the hole punch pliers with a washer, to press against the rivet head and the opposing round area of the brass contact seemed like a good choice, as it limited the force being applied to only the brass /metal areas....also thought about mixing up a small dab of epoxy,...(if I can get it clean enough for the stuff to try and stick),... should help re-enforce,...definitely a wise suggestion on holding the terminal brackets with some needle nose pliers to relieve the stress of the screwdriver....thxs for the input guys..

Edited by 3046moparcoupe