Signal Lights

Norm Knowles

I have modified my rear fender clearance lights on 48 dodge D25C so they will also show as brake lights in addition to the trunk lid brake light.  I am considering adding an after market steering column mounted signal light assembly and am having trouble getting an answer locally to my question.  What has to be done so the signal lights will continue to flash when the foot brake pedal is applied?  Also the car has the original 6 volt system and will the modern day signal light apparatus work.  Also finding there are four and seven wire units which is the right one or will both work?  Thanks for any help.

Norm,

When I rewired our ’46 Plymouth (I used a Ron Francis Wire Works harness called “Git It Runnin’”), and did what you did—I wired the tail lights to work as tail lights AND brake lights, with the trunk light functioning as a brake light only (much like cars of today . . .). I got an after-market turn-signal kit that clamps onto the steering column. For the front park lights, I just changed sockets and bulbs for 2-filament ones, ran the wire, and presto—that end was done. As for the back, it wasn’t quite so simple. The tail light housing doesn’t accommodate the socket and/or bulb within, but rather on an odd bracket with the socket and bulb actually inside of the trunk shining out thru a hole to the tail light housing and glass lens. With that particular arrangement, there simply wasn’t enough room, so I added a small red tail light below the originals, and wired those to the turn signal, and viola—that end was done.

Voltage, and/or polarity (our car was wired as a 6v-neg ground when we got it . . .), doesn’t matter in this situation, except for the flasher utilized in the completed system, and if you’re using LED’s anywhere therein.

This should be rather straight forward. Just be sure to read, and follow, the instructions for your selected after-market turn-signal system (I tho’t it was going to be simple, just connect the wires per the schematic, but since I used separate bulbs in the back, that was a wrinkle that I didn’t take the time to fully educate myself on prior to delving into this project.

Warmest regards, and best of luck . . . .

For turn signal and brake light you need a double filment bulb  possibly 1158 6v.  I prefer the 7 wire system turn signal SignalStat system.  can be purchased ata NAPA store or ordered in for you  and also a 6v turn signal flasher.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

Most turn signal sets split the stop lights between left and right and the original stop light on your car can be left as the  "high mount" light.   All you have to do is put a double pin socket in each of the tail lights and also, if you want to retain your park lights  these will need double pin sockets as well.

If you can get an earlier set with the self canceling feature so much the better.

I used the 7 wire unit.......and  followed the instructions.  You do need a 6v flasher can.  Yes......double filament, two contact

bulbs are needed in all four lights.  I have a vintage turn signal unit that attaches to the steering column and has a rubber

wheel which rubs against the steering wheel to cancel after a turn.  I also made a small mounting panel to hold two red

jewel lights under the dash to show when the signal is flashing R or L....wired them in down by the flasher.       

The turn-signal unit I clamped onto the steering column has a couple of small lights on it, one near the top, and the other near the bottom, to indicate right and left, respectively. It has no provision for self-canceling, and the flasher isn’t very loud, but as little as we drive the car anymore, it really doesn’t matter. Thx.

I invented the two indicator lights because the little green indicator light that is built in to the signal does not

seem to work correctly.   Under normal circumstances, It simply flashes if either left or right is being indicated.

I have trouble hearing the ticking on the flasher under the dash.    I have added 6V LED tail lights from Technostalgia

to have brighter lights on the rear for both braking and turning.  The original lights were kind of dim and someone

once told me it was difficult to see me ahead of them one dark night out on the interstate.  The bad news is that

the company has stopped making the 6 volt P15 LED tail lights due to low demand.   My parking lights are being

used for turn signals only.......as you seldom need parking lights, or so it seems......and I simply use the single

contact bulb for just one thing.... as a turn signal.