Need education on how by pass filter works.

aj1936

I purchased a old military by pass oil filter for the Dodge straight six . I have read all the info provided in this forum about line hookup and have no problem with any of that. Upon examining the filter I see the inlet is marked on the top side. Inside is a hollow tube with a bolt that screws into it to hold the top down and a hole in the bottom for the outlet. There is a very small hole the size of a lead pencil point in the hollow shaft near the top. I can't see any other holes. I blew some air through it sealing the top and bottom of center tube and the only place it came out was that small hole. How in the hell does oil come in the top go through the filter and out that tiny hole to the engine or am I missing something.

The  pencil shows where the small hole is in the center hollow tube. A canister filter (AC #P115) slides over the hollow tube. Question is how does oil get into the hollow tube and out to the engine block through that small hole . It is too small. The top hole is marked inlet. Makes more sense that the oil from engine would enter the filter from the bottom hole blow out through the small hole in the center hollow tube into the filter element then out the hole on the top side to the engine. But the hole on the top side is marked inlet which Im assuming means from engine.

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

Keep in mind the bypass allows about 30% of the flow to travel to the filter.  Any larger hole would cause a pressure drop.  When you look at the flow passages within the lubricated parts, outlets are pretty small.

Ok, thanks. So I hook up the hole marked inlet on the filter to the oil passage port above the oil relief passage (top) and the bottom outlet of the filter to the port at the oil pressure relief value (Bottom). What size line?

Edited by aj1936