E brake light switch?

casper50

Searched but could not find an answer.  I keep forgetting to release the E brake.  There's already a light in the dash just above and to the right of the steering colum that isn't being used.  Has anyone put in a E brake switch?  If so what did you use?  Thanks.

I never did one but if I were going to,I'd probably use one of those modern brake light switches that are near the pedal arm. Pushing the pedal closes the contact and brake lights come on. You could probably adapt one of those for your e brake arm and it would be practically invisible. The best part is that they are available at any junkyard.

I've seen vintage brake alarm lights listed on ebay  if you want  period correct look. Rather than a light indication, on my 1948 Dodge D25, the car was fitted with a brake whistle. When delivered to the original owner, the cost was $1.75. It operates off manifold vacuum same as the wipers, works well and is foolproof. The whistle sounds kinda like a  whistle fitted to one of those toy steam engines or a  whistling kettle. I found another on ebay some years ago for my 48 Nash ,virtually the same thing ,not expensive, at the time around $20.00.

271658770_BrakeWhistle.thumb.jpg.e8a96150e4aae1283f4e68cfef58a136.jpg1510545985_NashBrakeWhistle.jpg.8b4c8fe620b57ba057eec722e3248cb9.jpg

49 and 50 Chrysler   had an e-brake switch and it was offered as an option on other makes.  It was placed on the studs which hold the handle and ratchet to the body and was wired to the turn signal flasher.

A light located in the lower panel of the dash would then flash rapidly on the handle.  Other variations had a light located  on the dashboard to the left of the instruments.   Easy to install, hard to find.   If you happened to engage the turn signal, the whole works would flash in unison.   

2 hours ago, T120 said:

I've seen vintage brake alarm lights listed on ebay  if you want  period correct look. Rather than a light indication, on my 1948 Dodge D25, the car was fitted with a brake whistle. When delivered to the original owner, the cost was $1.75. It operates off manifold vacuum same as the wipers, works well and is foolproof. The whistle sounds kinda like a  whistle fitted to one of those toy steam engines or a  whistling kettle. I found another on ebay some years ago for my 48 Nash ,virtually the same thing ,not expensive, at the time around $20.00.

271658770_BrakeWhistle.thumb.jpg.e8a96150e4aae1283f4e68cfef58a136.jpg1510545985_NashBrakeWhistle.jpg.8b4c8fe620b57ba057eec722e3248cb9.jpg

This is the first time I have ever heard of a whistle notification for parking brakes. Thanks!

I crawled uder my instrument panel and tracked down the elusive parking brake switch.  It's near the top of the parking brake assembly, above the handle, hiding behind a tangle of wires.  
But here's a shot: 

1791915970_parkingbrakeswitch.JPG.9ffc041c1f9232a2612899c25f9b3f37.JPG

It's a momentary contact NC switch, on an adjustable bracket, secured to a fixed sector with notches.  Pulling the handle to set the brake moves the arm away from the switch, allowing the contacts to close.  Releasing the handle pushes in the plunger, opening the contacts.

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo

Donald,

They do sell these on ebay at rare times - usually around once every three years or so one will be listed on ebay so one can buy one.

I have only seen 3 listed in the last 10 years though, and snagged one for about $20.

Getting harder to find these switches.

Tom

3 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

I crawled uder my instrument panel and tracked down the elusive parking brake switch.  It's near the top of the parking brake assembly, above the handle, hiding behind a tangle of wires.  
But here's a shot: 

1791915970_parkingbrakeswitch.JPG.9ffc041c1f9232a2612899c25f9b3f37.JPG

It's a momentary contact NC switch, on an adjustable bracket, secured to a fixed sector with notches.  Pulling the handle to set the brake moves the arm away from the switch, allowing the contacts to close.  Releasing the handle pushes in the plunger, opening the contacts.

You can pretty easily do the same setup with a modern micro switch and 6 volt panel lamp.  Something like this https://www.todaycomponents.com/omron-ss-5gl13-switcher.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99bbyun32wIVSrHtCh25yAzlEAQYCyABEgJ0FvD_BwE

Thanks Don for going to the trouble of taking that photo.  I know how hard it is.  I've been working on getting my fuel gauge working again lately.  I've ordered something similar off of ebay and will make it work.  Thanks everyone.

Thinking about my post No. 8, I wondered if I got the switch terminology right.  It's late, almost bedtime, but I my mind was unsettled.  Did I say NC or NO?  So I checked.  I had said NC. 

NC = Normally Closed.  (Guess what NO stands for.)   

NC, the condition when this switch came out of the box, with nothing pushing or pulling on it.  Not the same as "usually closed".  It's "Normally Closed" but hopefully pushed open before the car is set into motion.   So the parking brake has an NC switch that's pushed open when the brake is released, but allowed to close when the brake is engaged.  Switch closes, reminder light comes on.  Cool. I can go to bed now. 

This is what i like about this forum......you DO learn things..........I have been playing with cars since 1969 and have never heard of, let alone seen a whistling brake switch.........lol.........seriously this is something I'd never thought even existed.........lol...........you damn Yanks have thought of everything..........lol.............thanks guys.......Andy Douglas.