Lead Additive

51_Meadowbrook

I have heard conflicting stories about lead additives. I’m sure this has been brought up a couple times but is it actually necessary? What are the benefits of it? What are the consequences of it? Do you need it if you use higher octane? Do you need it every fill up? Or is it, as I’ve heard a couple times, a complete ripoff and a gimmick?

You don't need lead additive for your 1951 Dodge, the flathead six came from the factory with hardened valve seats.  This is something I didn't learn until after I purchased a case of lead additive.  ?

• Like 1

The lead in the older fuels was apparently there as much as a lubricant for the exhaust valve seats, however as Mother Mopar used hardened valve seats anyway in the side valve sixes you don't need to add it.........I never used it in the 41 Plymouth which had the stock 201 cube six but in the 1940 Dodge that has a 318 Poly V8 without hardened valve seats I use a 100ml bottle of a lead replacement in every tankful..........andyd      

As Doc said, unless you know for certain that your Caddy has hardened seats then I'd be using some sort of lead additive.........andyd 

• Thanks 1

50Coupe.....it might, then again it might not......lol.......I buy the additive in 1ltr bottles then I have two 100ml little bottles that I decant the stuff into, one is always in the car, if I go on a trip I put both if not the large bottle also.........seems to have worked so far..........andyd