Brass question

BobT-47P15

DSC09959.jpg

Is there a way to build up the short side to same height as the longest side......the item is made of brass.  It is supposed to be the

same length all around the bottom.  Is a pivot attaching item for P15 wing window.,,,,,on a convertible.

Edited by BobT-47P15

Rather than try to build up the existing piece I think I would get some brass bar stock, drill and tap a hole for the threaded stud and then I would cut and shape the bar stock to the correct profile.  If the stud is supposed to be locked to the brass part I would solder it in place.  I would think a couple hours of work would get you a new part.  A nice little Saturday afternoon job.

• Like 3

For what its worth I made the center windscreen bar for my 1940 Dodge from a piece of 1/2" by 1" brass bar and another piece of brass bar 1/4" by 3/8" .......I cut the large piece with a hacksaw to the shape of the center bar and drilled and tapped the small piece to take the small screws that held the inside piece on then tinned and soldered the two pieces together after filing the outer smooth then had the whole sherbang chromed..........should have made a few as this was around 1973/74 and its as good as the day I made it......I'd suggest getting a piece of brass and shaping it to fit, soldering it and it should be fine....................andyd 

Wscreen 4.jpg

Wscreen 5.jpg

• Like 4

I believe that the melting point of brass is such that a more complex part could be cast, using a torch to heat the metal.  The problem, if I understand it correctly, is that prolonged melting of brass changes the composition, as the tin melts at a much lower temperature than the copper content, and the tin content drops.  (Corrections welcome.)  But just working down an existing piece of brass seems a better option.  Also, you might find some random piece of brass that has almost the correct shape, like something off of an old faucet.  (Hence my weakness for collecting all sorts of odd bits....)  Aluminum could also be cast, then plated chrome (as suggested above).

That piece was made by a machinist fellow in California from an example, which was broken and that bottom

edge crooked.   I sent the sample, but failed to send instructions to make the bottom even with the longest

point.  He did make a faithful copy of the item he received.   Guess I will try to find out if the fellow, who was

elderly, is still around and if so would be willing to make another ( but correct) item.  

I don't have any equipment to heat such things.......would someone who makes jewelry or other metal

decor items possibly be a source of such work?   Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen.  I always

learn something of interest, even if my original question may be a bit dumb.  

10 hours ago, rhelm1953 said:

Rather than try to build up the existing piece I think I would get some brass bar stock, drill and tap a hole for the threaded stud and then I would cut and shape the bar stock to the correct profile.  If the stud is supposed to be locked to the brass part I would solder it in place.  I would think a couple hours of work would get you a new part.  A nice little Saturday afternoon job.

I would use this solution . I might use hard solder, (silver solder), to anchor the stud. 

Edited by T120
added word

I just spoke with the local fellow who knows the man in Calif who made the original items.  He says the man should

be able to make some more......and this time I would make sure we were on the same page about how the finished

product should be.  They were not cheap the first time around, but I paid because it was my fault they were not

right.  They are sort of usable, but not really as they should be.  We will eventually see how it goes.