52 Dodge Fluid Drive or gyro magic vs. Standard three speed

belvedere666

Thoughts, opinions, advice pros and cons? 

I came across a Fluid drive transmission for, what I think is a great deal. Right now I have a standard three speed transmission in my 1950 Plymouth. I have heard people say in the past that the Fluid Drive  transmissions were a little bit problematic. I assume that some of the people in this group have them in their cars. What are your thoughts?

Benefits?

Edited by belvedere666
Labeled incorrectly

Hydramatic is a trade name for Oldsmobile.   Nothing comparable was offered for Plymouth.   Dodge used a transmission called Gyromatic  but it will not fit under the Plymouth's smaller floor.   If you really need an automatic in your 50 Ply, then I would suggest a GM 350 which you can buy an adapter kit for.  

I like the 50 Plymouth just the way it was built.  Retrofit an R10 Overdrive and it will go anywhere at any legal speed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Hydramatic is a trade name for Oldsmobile.   Nothing comparable was offered for Plymouth.   Dodge used a transmission called Gyromatic  but it will not fit under the Plymouth's smaller floor.   If you really need an automatic in your 50 Ply, then I would suggest a GM 350 which you can buy an adapter kit for.  

I like the 50 Plymouth just the way it was built.  Retrofit an R10 Overdrive and it will go anywhere at any legal speed.

Guy had it listed as a hydromatic... it’s from a 52 dodge, Coronet I think.

maybe it’s a fluid drive. I’ll edit the post.

If you go to the top of the page, click on technical, then click on tech tips. There is a wonderful description of what fluid drive is and how it works. I have it on my car and it allows me to be in gear (I have a 3 speed manual) at a full stop. Great on hills! There is also a semi-automatic tranny that works with it too. The website Allpar also is a great read on old Mopars.

• Like 1