Help! Stuck door on 49 coupe

DocHemi

1949 Plymouth business coupe

The other day the door wasn't latching well when I left so I gave it a good tug and it fully latched. Then when I got to my destination it wouldn't open. I tried the inner and outer handles. When I got home I investigated further and could see the linkages working through the lowered window. It was almost like the door was locked sometimes. I have no key for it but I popped out the passenger side lock (yay access hole) to see about getting a key made. I've tried lifting, pushing down, pushing in, and pushing out while using the handles. If it indeed did lock itself, would the inside door handle unlock it when I pulled on it? Also is the shaft that comes out of the lock cylinder supposed to be loose? I've searched through the forum for similar issues but only found one that suggested lifting the door. 

I put some shoulder to it from the inside while holding the handle and it opened. Open sesame! I greased both contact points but you still have to give it a good tug to open. That can't be good for it. I believe it's the door side that's causing trouble (that rotary gear). Is that a replaceable part or do I need to get a whole inside door mechanism? I need to find a service manual. 

Most doors sag down with age.  Hinges and bushings wear.  You can get the door to work flawlessly again with a basic tool.  About a 3' 2 X 4.  Butt end over the thresh hold and middle under door.  Gentle adjustments please, it moves easier than you think.  You can correct a twisted door also (IF it doesnt seal on top) Stick block the bottom and push on top.  Sounds terrible but it works.

• Like 2

I was able to get a key made but after I put the lock back in it feels loose. Not sure if it's a clip issue or what. This was on the passenger side as I also needed to figure out why the window didn't like rolling down sometimes. Found that if I push in the handle while turning it it works fine. Otherwise it can bind up. Haven't noticed an adjustment for that. Had it not been so hot and humid out I would have taken the driver's side off to investigate the latch. Do you have to remove the lock cylinder to remove the latch? Seems I saw an eBay auction that showed the lock control as separate.