Lets talk oil bath oil filters

p24-1953

Im in the process of modifying 2 oil bath filters so they will fit on the dual carb set up.  The plan had been for me to take a 3/8" sliver off of each and weld the two up as one.  Inside the main bowl where the oil is will be still be intact below the oil fill line,  but where i am confused is under this main bowl are two additional chambers that were /are sealed from outside air but had a hole to allow air from these to chambers to enter the  down draft tube.   Here is the question do i need to make these lower chambers "air tight" or  can i  seal the holes in the down draft tube?  Below is my mock up after the initial cuts.

FB_IMG_1529891698887.jpg

The thing to keep in mind is the liquid oil in the base is not the filter medium, it is an entrapment pond.  The design if the filter makes the air path turn 180 degrees above the oil, the air can turn, particles and other junk can't make the turn, fall into the oil and settle there.  Some of the oil does get vaporized and gets into the mesh which is ment to filter air entering the assembly so it is important to keep that intact and functioning. Not sure that answers your question, but hopefully helps.

Edited by greg g

The other chambers are to help silence the noise of the air induction.  I do not see any reason why they should be sealed or not, but if they are modified in any way, they likely will not do their intended job.

15 minutes ago, greg g said:

air path turn 180 degrees

Greg i am thinking the 180 turn is still there since both mesh units are intact and the oil level will still be at stock level.  

13 minutes ago, dpollo said:

help silence the noise

The open chamber cant be any louder than the el chepo paper filters.   You can hear the wind suction from in the cab.

• 1 year later...

I just came to the December 6th Hemmings email post, and there is an interesting discussion about the after math of the Mt St. Helens eruption.  I hadn't heard this before, but apparently the ash was so fine it passed right through the dry type filters, but was caught by the oil bath filters.

Here's the story, and the comments are interesting as well.  

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/08/13/what-exactly-did-the-mt-st-helens-eruption-do-to-cars/?refer=news&utm_source=edaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-12-06#comments-block

Edited by Eneto-55

I worked on quite a few cars that had electric motor ash damage. Window and heater fan motors.

Yes many engines didn't make it sucking in ash laden air driving across eastern washington with both oil bath or paper filters.

Many cars and trucks were damaged beyond repair because of this very fine to course ash.