Throw Out Bearing Mix Up?

I have been searching for a "rotational" noise near the rear of the engine bay ever since I put in my new engine. I am working on pulling my engine out to fix an oil leak and check a lifter problem when I find this. The new bearing is shot, and the pressure plate arms have been machining away the lower part of the bearing. I checked my old bearing and found the same thing. Looks like two wrong bearings in a row. Correct me if I am wrong, but this bearing should fit much tighter on the front of the tranny and keep it centered. 

20180624_134908.jpg

I have a federal Clutch release bearing catalog  I can not find a dodge model c1b  I do have a a dodge truck 1954-46 all 1/2 toon to 2 ton listing.  it show the Mopar factory part number as 581498  with the federal number being D-1087 which is the the holders with the bearing attached.

Bearing only is 581499  and the federal bearing number is 1087

Can you find any part number in your parts book for your truck this might help me identify the correct clutch throwout release and bearing assembly.

The catalog also has a cross ref section so I might be able to identify other manufactureres if you can supply me with the appropriate Dodge or Mopar number from your parts book

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com   cell 484-431-8157

I just measured the old bearing and its 1.75" on the inside diameter. Rock Auto lists that bearing for the truck. I just looked up a 55 car on Rock Auto and it shows a 1.25" internal diameter. The front bearing retainer on the tranny is 1.24". I am wondering if the front bearing retainer has been changed at some time or if I have a car tranny installed.

Rich, thanks for the help. I was trying to confirm what is mixed up here. However, this is just one more thing to push me in the direction of a tranny upgrade. At this point the stocker or my R10 are not going in. I dont think either will live long behind the 325 and I already need to upgrade my clutch because it will easily pull through it.

Is it a 3 speed trans?

Here is the info out of the 1954 thru 1956 Dodge truck parts book...you figure it out!

C-series... I don't know about ... too late for me.

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

I tried several times to photo and capture good pics.. well can't do any better...

So I'll hand type all this?

.....Bearing with sleeve W/O Truck-O-Matic  NOTE  1   STD. Domestic...  series  1-3U ...part#1503408

......W/O Truck-O-Matic Note 2   STD. Domestic...series 1-3U  part#581498

.....Bearing, W/O Sleeve ..series 1-3U.... part# 581499

......Bearing W/O Sleeve.....series   3A ...   part#1664510 

2 types of 3 speed std transmissions were used ... a side cover shifter and a top cover type shifter... see notes on the pictured pages... they make note of this and correct parts applications..

15 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I tried several times to photo and capture good pics.. well can't do any better...

So I'll hand type all this?

.....Bearing with sleeve W/O Truck-O-Matic  NOTE  1   STD. Domestic...  series  1-3U ...part#1503408

......W/O Truck-O-Matic Note 2   STD. Domestic...series 1-3U  part#581498

.....Bearing, W/O Sleeve ..series 1-3U.... part# 581499

......Bearing W/O Sleeve.....series   3A ...   part#1664510 

2 types of 3 speed std transmissions were used ... a side cover shifter and a top cover type shifter... see notes on the pictured pages... they make note of this and correct parts applications..

Ok thanks for th einput info:  partnumber 1503408 first line no information found in my catalog

line two part# 581498   46-54 1/2 ton trucks to 2 ton trucks  federal Number D-1087 and this is the clutch release with bearing attached

line Part # 581499  is the bearing only and the federal bearing number is 1087

line 4 no information

D-1087 Federal Clutch Bearing assemblies   Dodge trucks 1/2 to 1 1/2 ton  1939-40  All models 1941-47  1/2 to 2 ton 1948-54

Bearing measurement  1087  Bore 2.062, overall diameter 3.562, width .750, type thrust and sealed

complete assemblies D-1087  description Iron Adapter  sleeve number 1057

Hope this get you the correct Clutch throwout assembly

Rich Hartung  

I think his trans is a 3 speed like used in the cars  with the shift levers on the side of the trans.and uses a regular T/O bearing and sleeve like on a car?.

The top loader shift cover 3 speed (H-Duty) probably uses the larger sleeve and bearing.... same for a 4 or 5 speed trans.

OP what's U-got? a 3 speed trans.... side or top loader?

I'll look deeper in the parts book L8ter.

The info I posted was for both you and Rich and others.

Someone might need this info in the future if they can find this thread.

I'm not lookin anymore.! I'm worn out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

I found the easiest solution for this old problem. Since you need either a new front bearing retainer of the right size or a car throw out arm  which is probably just as hard to find, I had something fabbed up instead.

My machinist made me a nice press in oilite bushing for the throw out bearing. Those should work just fine and might help somebody else down the road.

Resized_20190403_174450.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, 59bisquik said:

I have been searching for a "rotational" noise near the rear of the engine bay ever since I put in my new engine. I am working on pulling my engine out to fix an oil leak and check a lifter problem when I find this. The new bearing is shot, and the pressure plate arms have been machining away the lower part of the bearing. I checked my old bearing and found the same thing. Looks like two wrong bearings in a row. Correct me if I am wrong, but this bearing should fit much tighter on the front of the tranny and keep it centered. 

20180624_134908.jpg

Sleeve it like this.

20180118_160511_resized_2.jpg

20180118_160519_resized_2.jpg

• Like 1