Engine oil gage rubber hose

mrbobs48

It has been posted in the past that a brake hose will fit. search for posts by norms coupe

Brake hoses carry a warning about "oil" getting on the hoses.

Not sure how much oil gets in contact with the hose via this application as it is a pressure thing, nor do I know how many years it would take to be a problem.

replace it with the correct hose for $15. If the hose breaks then you will have engine oil all over the inside of your engine.  15$ is not mush to spend when you have an antique car. also suggest that you get two adn the shipping will be the same and have one as a spare.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

• 6 months later...

I just ordered a new oil pressure hose from Bernbaum's so I'm not familiar with the hook up yet.

How did Dodge originally connect the hose to the block. I'm thinking of plugging one end of the hose into the rear-most port of the main oil gallery on the left side of the engine and the other end directly into the gauge. Do I need any special brass fittings to connect the hose between the block and the gauge?

Final question: Are the four oil gallery ports on the left side of the engine tapped for pipe threads or something else?

20181229_112405_1546104359623_resized.jpg

20181229_122446_resized.jpg

20181229_112451_1546104355515_resized.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

1 hour ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

1 hour ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

The B series trucks used 3/16" steel tube from the rear oil galley fitting all the way to the gauge with a coupler just above the head as shown.

You certainly can use a rubber hose if you like...

If you are installing new tube and nut/ferrule at the gauge be care to check for leakage. The modern compression sleeves sometimes leak as the diameter can be too small to seal.

Wiring DT New (3).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The gauge end of the fitting is not your regular inverted flare, in fact it is kind of ball shaped and when they were still available I bought several.  They were meant to be used only once.

However, I have had no trouble reusing them.  I hope you kept the steel line that ran from your gauge to the engine side of the firewall.   On Chryslers, a flexible hose ran to the gauge which allowed the instrument cluster to be pulled out for bulb replacement.  It is possible to use a coupling with double flares to make a serviceable connection.

The all important item to have is the original connection for the gauge end.

I had a hydraulic shop make flex hoses for me at $ 20 each so Bernbaum's $15 item seems to be a bargain.

• Like 1

The special original gauge end ferrule fitting on the right...the  sometimes will seal modern ferrule on left....

Oil Line Ferules (4).JPG

Oil Line Hose 1950 Chrysler C49 (5).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Make the post much more clear!
  • Thanks 1

I think originally the factory brass tube nut and special cut ferrule were soldered together as one piece to help speed assembly and prevent possible leakage 100%.

Then when the tube is removed it breaks the solder. 

My above pics show a 1950 Chrysler using the factory 30" long hose but is the same for steel tube applications...

• Like 1

I have also reused that original fitting on three different truck now without leaks.

but I also went solid line (no rubber hose) 

i think I heard or read, you want as much ground as possible and that is just another avenue. 

Looking good Glenn! 

Unfortunately when I bought the truck it didn't have the original gauge cluster nor the line with the correct gauge fitting. I had to buy an old used gauge cluster online and have it refurbished and I never expected a problem with the line to oil gauge fitting. If I can figure out a way to solve this connection problem I will post it. I thank everyone who posted comments about this. The more one knows about a given problem, the more likely a solution can be found.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 1

If you possibly do have a problem it will be a tiny leak at the gauge fitting using a ferrule at the gauge.

The problem I had was that and I had to use another ferrule from a parts store that was slightly larger in diameter by a few thousandth's of an inch.

That fixed the tiny drip.

I suppose you will buy 3/16" steel line at the parts store in pre cut lengths so you don't have the do tube flaring... or do you do your own flaring anfter cutting the tubing to length? 

A few years ago I think Young Ed found the correct fitting oil line gauge ferrules... not 100% sure though on that.

This oil line ferrule issue has been looked into a few years back on this forum.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Dodgeb4ya,

This thread must be the one that contains the post by Young Ed that you remember. Young Ed posted a picture (five posts down in the link below) of a pilot light gas line fitting that he claims will make a secure connection to the oil gauge. I'm looking into it.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

Yes that's it.

I'll reiterate that $15 for the proper flexible section is quite inexpensive, and well spent.  I installed one from A. Bernbaum going on 25 years ago, holding up very well, no problems at all

I found someone who was willing to part with a six inch piece of 3/16 line with the special compression fitting! Main problem solved. Going to pick up some 3/16 CuNi brake line from Napa. I already have the flexible line section from Bernbaum. Now all I need to do is put it all together!

20190108_112522_resized.jpg.7186f38e3029bbdce978f156ea51b7b9.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
spelling correction

Anyone else still need a fitting? I could stop by the hardware store where I got the last one and see if they still have them. I believe Mark installed one in FEF and it's been working. I found that fitting for him but haven't used one-running the original lines in both my vehicles. 

Ed,

That wouldn't be a bad idea if they are still available. If you can find out who manufactures the substitutes and where they might be sold retail it might help someone else get out of a jam. Even the substitutes are hard to find as I discovered by unsuccessfully trying to find one at five different HVAC supply houses. I was ready to give up and just install an aftermarket gauge.

5 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Anyone else still need a fitting? I could stop by the hardware store where I got the last one and see if they still have them. I believe Mark installed one in FEF and it's been working. I found that fitting for him but haven't used one-running the original lines in both my vehicles. 

Young Ed, This is rich Hartung   Desoto1939@aol.com   I would be interested in a couple if you can get them. If you can get some let me know the cost plus shipping.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

Ed,

I also would like five if available.

Taking orders now? Ed ??

Maybe a special order to supply them??  ?

DJ