My Favourite At The Show...T&C

keithb7

3 hours ago, Tom Skinner said:

Kiethb7,

Maybe the guy had a chebby 350 under the hood. If you look closely at the Picture and Video, he has the wrong Hub Caps on it.

The Hood Ornament has something wingy on top of it - also incorrect. It has been my experience at shows that guys that keep their Hoods down

at shows are either a little ashamed at the mess that is under that Hood, or have never actually worked on it and are ignorant  of

what is under the Hood, because they always paid someone else to work on it. Or maybe he was just tired or too stoned to bother. I see old hippies in the background of the picture. Ha Ha.

Tom

Hey Tom be careful here....you could be talking about me?

C39 T&C Sky Valley Road Trip (35).JPG

Tom’sB2B,

That is one VERY impressive car. I assume the wood is real, and it’s beautiful. A question: is the door like a contemporary Ford woodie wagon’s (all wood), or is the wood the outer skin on a metal door, or is the wood on top of a metal skin of some sort? In any case, that’s one spectacular car. Regards to you . . .

Knuckleharley,

You know, a trophy and a dollar might buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I’ve found “trophy chasers” are people I really don’t want to spend any of my time with. For me, time’s now short, and I’m not about to waste any of it on shallow people. Warmest personal regards . . .

Docgeb4ya,

I love the nickname “Termite Taxi”. Now THAT guy has a sense humour, and he obviously isn’t all full of himself. I could see myself shooting the bull with him, and having a great time. Best regards . . .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

Tom’sB2B,

That is one VERY impressive car. I assume the wood is real, and it’s beautiful. A question: is the door like a contemporary Ford woodie wagon’s (all wood), or is the wood the outer skin on a metal door, or is the wood on top of a metal skin of some sort? In any case, that’s one spectacular car. Regards to you . . .

Knuckleharley,

You know, a trophy and a dollar might buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I’ve found “trophy chasers” are people I really don’t want to spend any of my time with. For me, time’s now short, and I’m not about to waste any of it on shallow people. Warmest personal regards . . .

Docgeb4ya,

I love the nickname “Termite Taxi”. Now THAT guy has a sense humour, and he obviously isn’t all full of himself. I could see myself shooting the bull with him, and having a great time. Best regards . . .

"You know, a trophy and a dollar might buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I’ve found “trophy chasers” are people I really don’t want to spend any of my time with.

It has been MY personal experience that every one of them I  have ever met has been anal and self-absorbed.  IF they have any "friends",these "friends" are identical to them. Buddy-buddy when face to face,and talking crap and stabbing them in the back the instant they leave.

They own their cars to draw attention to themselves,not because they love the cars.

Or at least that is the way it seems to me.

The only exceptions I can think of is people in the restoration or hot rod biz,who want trophy winners to advertise their businesses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Tom’sB2B,

Knuckleharley,

Docgeb4ya,

DrDoctor

I wish the car was mine. It comes to the local Saturday cars and coffee. I have yet to corner the owner for a chat.

1 hour ago, HotRodTractor said:

Someday I will own one of these lovely ladies. A T&C convertible with a hopped up 8.... cause a guy has to dream big. lol

That's not just thinking big,that's thinking expensive.

• Like 1

Here are some factory photo's of both the a T&C  convert and a sedan being built. The wood IS the body structure.. very massive , structural and heavy.

When I was a young lad ha ha.... in the very late 50's I saw a couple T&C's driving in front of us while on a trip with my family to California going down highway 99.

I  never forgot the look of the" Hot cross Buns".... the way the back trunk lids of the cars looked from behind as we followed the two cars down old Highway 99. I thought those cars  were so cool looking. That's the kind of car I wanted! ...Yea right!

Anyway...Years later...1975 I heard of a man locally who collected Chrysler's.  He had about 40+ cars 20's to early 60's.  I Got to know him well and two years later I was able  to buy the 1948 T&C  converible from him...the one shown above.

I only had enough cash for half the asking price and borrowed the other half from a relative. I worked  my ass off doing extra jobs to pay the loan off in six months. My friends thought I was crazy for  buying it!

Well I still have it today.... 40 years later. I still drive it... I let people enjoy it...I take people for rides in it,  I talk to anyone who wants to know about it, I want people to know about these cool unusual cars and........ best of all I'm not a rich stuck up ass!?

Town and Country pekin Wood plant.JPG

1941_Chrysler_Town_and_Country_Sedan_Wooden_FrameDaimlerChrysler_Historical_Collection.jpg

Town and Country Sedan Door Fabrication pekin Plant.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That mans car has 1950 Chrysler Town and Country/Imperial Wheel covers with the nice Cloisonne glass medallions in the center.

That's the first 1946-48 T&C I've seen with them installed on a 46-48 T&C  besides mine. They are incorrect but so much nicer IMO than the factory stainless trim rings and center caps.

I have the original MoPar NOS rings and caps but don't like the look and don't want to install them. Dummy me.

I love those six cylinder  four door sedans and have worked on a couple over the years too. Beautiful interiors in the Highlander option.

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Found a couple more pics to compliment this thread...Its turning out real nice. Thanks for making it so folks!

4KWktoa3GwauNm8RTxCAJz0-Cy2KDVW4y8oBsaXR

3qtU1OGvxfNKLscX0kiCOw3jwezkCVuxM8VngcEE

JOHLrqUgWXnrH9OFc-Ck1SdSI-hpFmtDAqwhZwea

I hate to admit this,but I think I actually like the sedans more than I like the convertibles.

11 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

That's not just thinking big,that's thinking expensive.

I'm young - its a long term investment - lol. I just need to find the cash, and then buy one when sales prices are down - and I'll be OK. See that is me learning..... I bought my 1 of 16 John Deere 630LP Standard when prices were at their peak...... fun toy.... but its going to be a while before sales prices climb enough to recover on that one.

2 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

I'm young - its a long term investment - lol. I just need to find the cash, and then buy one when sales prices are down - and I'll be OK. See that is me learning..... I bought my 1 of 16 John Deere 630LP Standard when prices were at their peak...... fun toy.... but its going to be a while before sales prices climb enough to recover on that one.

Cool! When they go down far enough,buy two and give me one of them.

I am liking your plan better already.

MY usual plan seems to be pay too much when prices are high. That ain't working out worth a damn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt like to open my hood until it was detailed and cleaned a little better than the 40years of grime. Now I usually open my hood, even just half way and if anyone is interested I will open all the way. My one car isn’t that nice under hood but now my Plymouth......she is shiny. 

As for bone stock verses “custom”, I drive my cars and stock brakes and 98 horsepower engines don’t blend well with modern traffic at least in larger centres. I can understand upgrading these components. 

• Like 2