My Favourite At The Show...T&C

keithb7

I saw this Town & Country today at fairly good sized car show yesterday here. Then we passed it on the drive home later that day.

I tried to talk to the owner as I was pretty into his car. I had hoped to see under the hood. He wasn't into talking much or popping the hood. Cool car though.

lVdO-yLGw7xETqsjJEdC8FqROOn1QkK8NnBD0-Jy

https://youtu.be/Dhkz5MV5P1k

If someone could teach me how to properly embed a YT video that would appreciated. Thanks. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Being fairly new to the hobby I have been enjoying the car shows. This show I went to yesterday had about 700 cars. I probably could count on two hands, the stock vehicles that I saw. It was a clear to me that there is little interest in preserving history among many. Seems everyone is trying to out do each other with blowers, and superchargers. Corvette engines in so many 50's & 60's cars. Between the Corvettes, Camaros, 5-6-7 Chevy's and Mustangs they might have numbered 1/2 the show it seemed. Just this one stock Mopar from our era. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Being fairly new to the hobby I have been enjoying the car shows. This show I went to yesterday had about 700 cars. I probably could count on two hands, the stock vehicles that I saw. It was a clear to me that there is little interest in preserving history among many. Seems everyone is trying to out do each other with blowers, and superchargers. Corvette engines in so many 50's & 60's cars. Between the Corvettes, Camaros, 5-6-7 Chevy's and Mustangs they might have numbered 1/2 the show it seemed. Just this one stock Mopar from our era. 

Yeah,to a couple of generations that are younger than us,65 Mustangs are now antique cars their granddaddy owned when they were kids.

I've had people drive 100 miles to come here to look at project cars after learning I have some "old cars for sale",and when I would show them stuff like a 37 Dodge truck or a P-15 sedan,it was common to hear comments like "No,I mean OLD cars,like a 78 Camaro!" Then I would piss them off by telling the crap like 78 Camaros were junk cars only good for parts if you had a GM powered hot rod,and they would get all huffy.

I don't like young people. They are just sooo damn YOUNG!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I saw this Town & Country today at fairly good sized car show yesterday here. Then we passed it on the drive home later that day.

I tried to talk to the owner as I was pretty into his car. I had hoped to see under the hood. He wasn't into talking much or popping the hood. Cool car though.

Nice car...Looks like he was packed and ready to head off to Pebble Beach. LOL

Yeah, I know I’ve said it before, but it begs to be repeated — I KNEW there was a reason why I quit going to car shows, as a participant, and as a spectator. And, as for kids — they’re just children, and as such, have yet to “pay their dues”. Thx.

• Like 1

That's too bad the woodie owner wasn't kind enough to show you his car... maybe a bit snobby... hope not.

I'm a long time  Chrysler T&C  owner and I think I'm pretty out going and friendly and anytime you want to see touch mine.... rev it up... come on down!

8 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That's too bad the woodie owner wasn't kind enough to show you his car... maybe a bit snobby... hope not.

I'm a long time  Chrysler T&C  owner and I think I'm pretty out going and friendly and anytime you want to see touch mine.... rev it up... come on down!

Thanks @Dodgeb4ya if I think of it, the next I am in WA I may hit you up on your offer. I have not actually seen or heard the straight 8 in person yet. Just photos and You Tube videos. I would have loved to look this car over much closer. The owner was maybe tired of car shows and people asking questions? I don't know. I can usually get a good read on a person after some brief conversation. He did not seem overly enthused that I was genuinely interested in the finer details of his T&C. Maybe he's just "Car-Show'd-Out". Who knows?

The T&C is so long,  it almost appears to bend at the frame where the front fender meets the door. It is a massive car. I am curious how long it actually is from bumper to bumper. Anyone know? I know my car is close to 4,000 lbs. Thinking about this,  I said to the owner,  "Wow that a beautiful car. It must weight close to 5,000 lbs." Which he replied, with what sounded like a forced reluctant answer, " Oh well... I don't know. What is 5,000 lbs anyway?" I thought it was an odd reply seeing as he had owned the car for 64 years according to the posted signage on display. Oh well. Maybe next time I see the car, I will try again. Maybe he will be interested in telling me all about this great treasure. I hope so!

Edited by keithb7

16 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Thanks @Dodgeb4ya if I think of it, the next I am in WA I may hit you up on your offer. I have not actually seen or heard the straight 8 in person yet. Just photos and You Tube videos. I would have loved to look this car over much closer. The owner was maybe tired of car shows and people asking questions? I don't know. I can usually get a good read on a person after some brief conversation. He did not seem overly enthused that I was genuinely interested in the finer details of his T&C. Maybe he's just "Car-Show'd-Out". Who knows?

The T&C is so long,  it almost appears to bend at the frame where the front fender meets the door. It is a massive car. I am curious how long it actually is from bumper to bumper. Anyone know? I know my car is close to 4,000 lbs. Thinking about this,  I said to the owner,  "Wow that a beautiful car. It must weight close to 5,000 lbs." Which he replied, with what sounded like a forced reluctant answer, " Oh well... I don't know. What is 5,000 lbs anyway?" I thought it was an odd reply seeing as he had owned the car for 64 years according to the posted signage on display. Oh well. Maybe next time I see the car, I will try again. Maybe he will be interested in telling me all about this great treasure. I hope so!

If he is old enough to have owned the car for 64 years,he might not be able to remember anything about it. Hell,he might still be out there driving around in circles because he can't remember how to get  home.

Don't ask me how I know about this sort of thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some info on a C38 T&C six cylinder sedan 1946-48....http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Keith....I know its not a Town & Country, just a  1948 6 cylinder Windsor 4dr sedan but I did own it for about 18mths, 2yrs maybe in the mid 1970's.............these are the only 2 pics I ever took of it, it had the Highlander upholstery and was quite driveable, I had it stored in a local garage then ended up selling it as I lost the storage space..........these were never sold in Oz although there were supposedly 10 or 12 specially imported for government use......the weird thing about mine was that it had an extra taillight assembly mounted on the body beside the stock standard one on each side then also had another pair as spares inside the trunk so at least there must have been another 2 of these here in Oz back then...............as Tom mentions they have a great dash, mine even had a working clock..........wish I'd kept it but I was young and silly, well maybe 21 or 22yrs old then..........lol.........regards, Andy Douglas    

img005 (6).jpg

LOL - When I brought Roxanne to the car show, I was bummed there weren't more people talking to me!

I'll be at the All American Car Show in Loveland Colorado July 7th if you'd like to stop by and chat?
http://www.allamericancarshow.com

Thinking about hitting the Good Guys show out here in September? What do you think? Too big for a little old Dodge B2B?

Edited by FlashBuddy

2 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

LOL - When I brought Roxanne to the car show, I was bummed there weren't more people talking to me!

I'll be at the All American Car Show in Loveland Colorado July 7th if you'd like to stop by and chat?
http://www.allamericancarshow.com

Thinking about hitting the Good Guys show out here in September? What do you think? Too big for a little old Dodge B2B?

The last time I drove one of mine to a car show,it was one put on to benefit the local Boy Scout troop,and I drove my 1939 IHC half-ton pu there. Painted with a brush and a roller using house paint and pretty much all original except for the oil. LOTS of oil passed past that head before I had it milled .125 to get the warp out.

Old blackwall tires,frosted and in some places cracked glass,with a few dings and dangs here and there.

They didn't know what to do with me at registration. It clearly wasn't restored,it wasn't (and never will be as long as I am alive) a rat rod,and it damn sure wasn't a hot rod or an actual custom despite the "custom" paint.

So they put me in the unfinished category. Me and one other guy who paid around 15 grand for his supposedly unfinished 56 Chebby 2 dr sedan with 350.fancy upholstery,new chrome,and plenty of bondo. I know the guy. He is one of those guys that waxes the UNDERNEATH of his driver car. I went to his house to see him about something one day a year or two before that,and caught him under the car with a rag and a can of Turtle Wax.

He entered his car in the unfinished category because he figured it would be the nicest car in that category,and he would win a trophy. Trophies are a big deal for him.

So.....,I drive my old clunker over and park beside him like I was told to do,and damned if he didn't get mad and pack up his portable umbrella/cooler,his framed photos,and his wife,and drive over to the regular parking lot muttering crap about "park that junker next to my car!!!!! Why I never........!" He was genuinely upset,and I was genuinely laughing my butt off at him and telling him "don't leave,you might beat me!"

I was suddenly,for the first time in my life kind of excited about  winning a trophy so I could drive over to where he was parked and show it to him,but I was told that "someone" complained before the judging about giving out trophies in classes where there was no competition.

I thought the whole thing was hilarious,and he hasn't spoken a word to me in the last 3 or 4 years over this.

Some people really need a hobby.1506188189_LFront.jpg.9f73801232acaae8e80c4ee7c6d517a3.jpg

BTW,the only reason I am not still driving the IHC to haul trash with is because the radiator core blew up as I was driving it home from having the head milled. Price new radiators for a 37-39 D-2 IHC and you will know why I haven't bought one yet.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

BTW,I went to a car show in Pa once when I was up there anyhow buying parts,and one guy had entered a VERY nicely restored 56 Chebby,and had a billboard sign in front of it asking people if they can spot what is different about the car.

I walked around it several times,and it sure looked restored and flawless to me,so I finally broke down and asked the guy.

He told me to count the doors on both sides. Yup,it was a tudor on the driver side,and a 4dr on the passenger side. He told me he had just finished restoring it and had just got it out of the paint shop when someone ran a red light and centerpunched it. So he used what he had to repair it,the passenger side of his 4dr parts car.

He sure was having fun watching people walk around it trying to figure out what was different.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mark Haymond said:

Kiethb7 maybe the Town and Country owner expected you to be one more guy to look for a chromed dressed big block under the hood and be disappointed. 

Maybe. Either that or he had a LT-1 engine in it like 99% of the muscle cars there. Didn't want me to see it as I was clearly interested in the straight 8. LOL.

• Like 1

Kiethb7,

Maybe the guy had a chebby 350 under the hood. If you look closely at the Picture and Video, he has the wrong Hub Caps on it.

The Hood Ornament has something wingy on top of it - also incorrect. It has been my experience at shows that guys that keep their Hoods down

at shows are either a little ashamed at the mess that is under that Hood, or have never actually worked on it and are ignorant  of

what is under the Hood, because they always paid someone else to work on it. Or maybe he was just tired or too stoned to bother. I see old hippies in the background of the picture. Ha Ha.

Tom

A few years ago a gentleman with a nice unrestored 49 chevy that always parked next to me, always came in 2nd or 3rd and I always finished ahead of him. The last show I saw him at he couldn't get out of his car and was on oxygen all day. When the awards were announced he took first. Someone said I should have got it and my reply was I am here because I enjoy talking to all my old friends I have made over the years and I am glad he finally got first. I never saw him again as he passed that winter. I enjoy all aspects of the shows but most of all talking to all the people and explaining things about my car, which by the way even at 71 years old is still younger than me. 

• Like 4

The proud owner of this Chrysler woody is also from BC...well traveled and I'm sure would love the opportunity  to discuss the history and features of his car ..

1030890845_TermiteTaxi.jpg.9e053f8c20ee28b5e3fbcab6a738234a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tevie is the owners name and he calls his car the "Termite Taxi"

............and yes he will talk to you about it!

He drives it everywhere.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
spelling