Post cards from Maine

pflaming

Be very glad you are there!

Whole central valley of Ca. over 100 degrees today!

We here in Modesto are getting  a breeze but it is also Hot! No help...  ?

Enjoy, thanks for some Cooler photos.  ?

DJ

This afternoon the family decided to go to Camden, I let them go and I drove roads less traveled. Set one is a rural repair shop closed decades ago, left without changing anything. Through the window sat a 47 ish Ford truck. Note the pump. Can anyone identify the black sedan?

Set two, a hiker along the road told me of this road. Two miles down was the remains of this house. Note the child's swing. I wonder how old the children are today who swing on that swing?

Roads less traveled, intrigue me. 

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

Vegan food in Maine.

I lunched in a vegan cafe in Skowhegan.  Their potato/chicken soup was excellent. I asked the owner/waitress what was the underlining philosophy of vaganism. Answer, Healthy food. 

So I asked if vegans believe animals have souls and what happens upon their demise. Answer, everything consists of energy which reincarnates upon physical death.

So I asked, in the grand scheme of life, is there a heaven or hell and is there an ultimate source? Answer, no on heaven and hell, yes on ultimate source.

So ended the exchange. I wanted to ask what role the ultimate source played in the scheme of life and if onions came from grumpy people and if fruit energy came from beautiful people but then that might get a bit sticky/wiki.  

It is always interesting to extend these isms to possible end results. If done so, fruits and vegetables might not be so appetizing. or "I'm my own grandpa?" H,m,m,m 

If only that bowl of soup could speak up!

IMG_3685.JPG

A logger is cutting a lane to rivers edge, then will build a crushed all weather "road" in that lane. We can then put an RV down there for summer vacations. 

I dont question others beliefs, but I do like to know something about them. 

IMG_3830.JPG

You certainly were asking them to defend their beliefs. Otherwise their initial answer would have been sufficient.  Moving from veganism to metaphysics was outside the scope of both the environment and the server/customer dynamic. My opinion, based solely on what you wrote; is that you overstepped a line and were discourteous. You might work on that a bit, perhaps zazen?

You may discover that you really are your own grandpa ?

Are you near Belfast??  If so north of town across from the Sunoco gas station is a big junque barn with some interesting stuff.Full boat tourist price but you can haggle a bit. I bundled a couple of old tools and got four bucks off the twofer. 

Quebec City, a small taste of Europe. Ladies had to shop so. . . Today we go country, I'm not a brick and mortar guy. It's cooler here, 40 degrees this morning, nice. 

IMG_4302.JPG

When we were up that way, for the WPC in Belfast we noticed Lobster shacks, lobster ponds, and lobster pounds, all apparently places where tourists and locals can purchase a lobster or two.  We understand the shack theme pretty well, but what's the difference between a pond and pound.  Are the lobsters sold from a pound unliscenced, strays, or unwanted? Does getting them from a pond involve wadding about in a small body of water to capture your supper?

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, greg g said:

When we were up that way, for the WPC in Belfast we noticed Lobster shacks, lobster ponds, and lobster pounds, all apparently places where tourists and locals can purchase a lobster or two.  We understand the shack theme pretty well, but what's the difference between a pond and pound.  Are the lobsters sold from a pound unliscenced, strays, or unwanted? Does getting them from a pond involve wadding about in a small body of water to capture your supper?

I haven't quite figured that out yet.  I've had several Mainers explain it to me, and they all said something different.  What I've noticed is that the "pounds" seem to deal exclusively with lobster (the ones I've been to, anyway), a "shack" features it, but has other seafood, and a "pond" I have no idea.  How you get, or they keep, the lobster may have something to do with it.

Dan, you are welcome on the photo journal. This tablet camera is so user friendly and Maine has so many hidden places of interest. Our next trip out, I will go north to the Moose Head Lake region and to the far NE potato region. That could well take a week. The amount of water in the state is astounding. It was a great vacation.

Two items always caught my eye, mail boxes and barns. Those will be more carefully noted as well. I will request permission to explore the old barns. They are often very unique, with horse stalls, milk cow stalls, chicken coupes, hog and sheep pens and feed and hay storage for all. Totally self contained for confined, self sufficient living. Often the corner of the barn intersects with the house. 

IMG_4568.JPG