Our new dodge, D24C

northerndave

20180623_104349_zps1fkdva3i.jpg

20180623_104404_zpsvfuqgx0v.jpg

20180623_104539_zpsxmnbzdkk.jpg

20180623_104545_zpsrlxwjlzo.jpg

20180623_104556_zpsrfubzneg.jpg

20180623_104602_zpsqoux8vpe.jpg

This one we (don't laugh) found in a barn near the Canadian border, MN. 

I'll have a couple of questions. There's no battery in it but I can see that the cable to the solenoid has a smaller post clamp than the ground cable, so I'm assuming positive ground?

The fluid drive, what sort of oil should be used in the coupler?

Thanks.

Dave

• Like 1

Looks pretty darn good.  Yes it is positive ground......use 0 gauge or 00 gauge for the battery cables for best

results.     I see the radiator is missing.....I am buying an aluminum one to fit my 47 Plymouth from Champion 

so they probably have one for your car as well.   May be the exact same one.  Someone else will have to talk

about fluid drive item.  Mine is not fluid drive.   Welcome and have fun.

Thank you.

Actually the radiator, related hoses, oil bath air cleaner etc are all in the trunk. All appear to be in great shape, someone started taking things apart, luckily they didn't get very far before they stopped.

I have purchased custom radiators before though, We have one in a 35 plymouth street rod we are building for a customer.

20180414_095450_zpsxqkeueea.jpg

Here's the 48 next to a 58. amazing progression in styling in only 10 years. 

20180619_074824_zpsq2rervis.jpg

20180618_165052_zpslovbw1ca.jpg

• Like 3

consensus for the most part with the coupling is let the sleeping dog lie for now.  Check the level..if good, that is a sign of no leakage and without leakage the fluid is still viable.  Once running and other things like the brakes and electrical check out...a few miles under her belt then you may wish to change this fluid.  But at this time...don't add more on yourself than absolutely needed.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

That makes sense, I only ask because the owner talked about a "shear pin" being out in the transmission or somewhere in the driveline. A bit presumptuous of me, but I have jumped to a conclusion in thinking there may be a coupling issue, beings I'm unaware of any "shear pin". 

1 hour ago, northerndave said:

Thank you.

Actually the radiator, related hoses, oil bath air cleaner etc are all in the trunk. All appear to be in great shape, someone started taking things apart, luckily they didn't get very far before they stopped.

I have purchased custom radiators before though, We have one in a 35 plymouth street rod we are building for a customer.

20180414_095450_zpsxqkeueea.jpg

Here's the 48 next to a 58. amazing progression in styling in only 10 years. 

20180619_074824_zpsq2rervis.jpg

20180618_165052_zpslovbw1ca.jpg

Not to mention horsepower and handling.

52 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Town sedan!  Rare! 

Shear pin in the transmission?  Maybe the guy just doesn't understand fluid couplings. 

And the parking brake- must use. Or keep a brick handy.  No rigid connection between engine and back wheels.   

ALWAYS a good idea to remind newbies to old Mopars about that.

Wunna these days *I* am going to get smart enough to start buying project cars that nice.

Honest!

Edited by knuckleharley

20180624_100129_zpshcubt9fj.jpg

20180624_100133_zpsbm9kjeob.jpg

20180624_100139_zpsezv2v7xq.jpg

20180624_100150_zpss1ychmbr.jpg

20180624_100220_zpsxwqckzge.jpg

Ok,now you are just rubbing it in.

I don't know what that's for.

Ok,so now you can tell us how you can resist pulling,pushing,and twisting it.

Could very well be to turn the heater fan motor on with the light as a indicator. Aftermarket add on heaters often had this setup but few it seems were  mounted in dash, so??

DJ

The car has an optional reverse light, I haven't looked to see if it's wired to a linkage actuated switch or if possibly that reverse light is manually activated? And maybe lit up as a reminder so you don't forget it on?

Don't know, I'm tossing darts.

I'll get it on my lift one of these days so I can check things over better from under the car.

Aren't old car wiring chasing fun?!

Just need to make it an adventure as when you were young!  ?

DJ