1934 Fargo 23" engine question

Andydodge

I have had a guy here in Oz contact me with a question regarding whether a 23' cylinder head from a later model mopar would fit a 1934 Fargo truck a friend of his has. The Fargos cylinder head is apparently cracked and he is unsure whether its repairable and asked me whether I knew of another head that would fit........I was unable to give him a definate answer as I am not familar with pre 1936 mopar engines that well.........I stated I thought it probably would be the same as a 23" head from a later version but would try and find out from you guys......so...........anyone familar with whether a 23" head is the same from 1934 onwards and any differences to look out for..............thanks, Andy Douglas  

The 34 Plymouth 201 used a head which was narrower than the Dodge and all later engines.  If  the engine has cylinders which are visible, that is, does not have full length water jackets,  then it  likely has the narrower head.  A gasket application book would give further evidence.

However, Fargo did not reappear until 35 or maybe 36 here in Canada  so is it really a 34 ?

Interesting info re the narrow head............I haven't seen a pic of the vehicle, its a flat bed truck apparently, I'll mention the narrow head and I know what you mean about the "visible" cylinders so that may help........I have asked him also about any stampings , etc on the engine number boss so hopefully will get this info asap...........thanks for the reply......andyd

he andy , if you cant get a head, there are some roosters in Melbourne that can fix them they fixed a 24 Minerva block for my mate and he broke the corner of the block big time , rule no 1 don't put 24 Minerva engine block in a 50 ton press to get the sleeve valve assy out of it

Tub.........why not.....I do it all the time, I have plenty of Minerva blocks...........lol.............yuk,yuk..........just a joke son........lol..........am lucky to be able to spell Minerva..............lol...........spoke to the guy earlier tonight, looks like it is the early block with the narrow head, he's gunna check again & get back............andyd.