Replacing press fit seal / Cleaning differential

51_Meadowbrook

This is my first time replacing a pressed seal so I’m looking for some guide lines and tips. It is the pinion seal at the front of the rear axle on my 51 Meadowbrook. When I went under I saw oil sprayed in a straight light around the front of the axle. I called Bernbaum since I’m going there Monday to pick some stuff up and they said it was the front seal. Is there an easy way to take it out? How about any lubricants/sealers for installation? I’ve never taken apart an axle, am I in for any surprises? I’m also going to replace the differential gasket as that leaks too. What’s the best way to clean the differential once I have it open?

The pinion seal on myDeSoto Suburban leaked persistently, even after I replaced the seal.  Two problems: the outer diameter of the seal was not quite large enough, and the pinion surface was scored.  (I was able to readily get a seal with the proper inner diameter, but not the outer diameter.)

I bought and installed a Speedi-Sleeve on the pinion shaft, which took care of the scored surface.

I figured a way to install  the new seal with sealant at its perimeter to close the gap.  (I had enough depth for two seals.)  To keep the lubricant from dripping out while I properly cleaned the surfaces and applied sealant for the perimeter of the new seal, I cleaned the surfaces as best I could, quickly installed the old seal, properly re-cleaned the surfaces, applied the sealant, and installed the new seal.  The old seal kept the lubricant at bay while the sealant set up.  

I hasn't leaked since.  

• Thanks 1

Sometimes you can use a seal puller tool to get the old seal out.  It is kind of a hooked tool available at an auto parts store. If there is not enough room to use the tool, another trick is to punch,or carefully punch or carefully drill a small hole in the face of the seal and insert a sheet metal screw.  You can then pull the seal out by pulling on the screw.  When you put the new seal in be sure to clean the bore carefully and seat the new seal fully.

4 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

The pinion seal on myDeSoto Suburban leaked persistently, even after I replaced the seal.  Two problems: the outer diameter of the seal was not quite large enough, and the pinion surface was scored.  (I was able to readily get a seal with the proper inner diameter, but not the outer diameter.)

I bought and installed a Speedi-Sleeve on the pinion shaft, which took care of the scored surface.

I figured a way to install  the new seal with sealant at its perimeter to close the gap.  (I had enough depth for two seals.)  To keep the lubricant from dripping out while I properly cleaned the surfaces and applied sealant for the perimeter of the new seal, I cleaned the surfaces as best I could, quickly installed the old seal, properly re-cleaned the surfaces, applied the sealant, and installed the new seal.  The old seal kept the lubricant at bay while the sealant set up.  

I hasn't leaked since.  

I am never putting in a single pinion seal in again.....thank you Donald!

I have found in cases where the outer diameter of the seal is 'loose' and not a tight fit the afore said fixes may work.  I myself would use the bubblegum and baling wire method OF--- wrapping the necessary layers of an aluminum pop can to make it a good tight fit and take a socket that just fits the inside diameter and tap it in place, tapping all around the edge at once so it went in even.  If you see one side lagging catch it up and keep even as possible.  Key word is copious 'tapping',,,NOT wailing it in. If it is all bent and crooked go buy another seal.

I remember putting stainless steel strips between the seal and the pinion housing, but theseal still leaked.  Thus the old seal to hold back the oil while the sealant set around the new seal. 

And the speedi-sleeve.  One thing about the speedi-sleeve-  I could have/should have ordered a deeper sleeve.  I had to locate the sleeve very carefully, so that the new seal would contact only the sleeve.  

• Like 1