Anyone got transmission crossmember photos?

Kevinb71

I have searched for pics of trans crossmembers from those who have changed to a non oem transmission, but can't seem to find any. I know Don went to a T5, but don't even find his build thread. Anyone point me to something? My big concern is if it is necessary to support the back of the engine if you use a rear transmission crossmember.

Edited by Kevinb71
missend

Ahh that makes sense! I really thought I was loosing it not being able to find what i knew a I had read years ago! Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. So from what I see you did not add a crossmember at the rear of the trans or am I not seeing it? What are your thoughts on an adapter plate to a GM OD automatic and eliminating the rear engine/bellhousing crossmember? The back of the engine block should be able to handle the load with the mount farther back at the back of the transmission? I am also toying with making a mount that would attach where the engine to trans braces are now. It just would be somewhat low, but not too bad.

39 minutes ago, Kevinb71 said:

Ahh that makes sense! I really thought I was loosing it not being able to find what i knew a I had read years ago! Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. So from what I see you did not add a crossmember at the rear of the trans or am I not seeing it? What are your thoughts on an adapter plate to a GM OD automatic and eliminating the rear engine/bellhousing crossmember? The back of the engine block should be able to handle the load with the mount farther back at the back of the transmission? I am also toying with making a mount that would attach where the engine to trans braces are now. It just would be somewhat low, but not too bad.

When I did my T-5 install there were no plates nor kits available so I had to devise everything. I do not have any experience with a GM automatic adaptor plate but I believe there is a forum member who sell such an adaptor device. He can better answer your questions on such an install. Hopefully he will chime in on this thread. Others here have installed a 5 speed non T-5 overdrive with success. Also I am told it is possible to install a Mopar a-833 overdrive but to date nobody has posted details on how to successfully complete this installation. 

http://wilcap.com/webdoc8.html

They have the GM adaptor plate set up.  I just ran across a IND 265 and purchased it.  It turns, assuming it looks good on tear down, I will use it in my big Desoto.  We looked at all the ways to get a 4000-5000 pound classic car to have a modern engine in it and the steering issues basically means that the entire front end would have to go.  Even at that there is nobody making a power rack or an electric power assist for cars over 4500 pounds...

So, we are going to build the following:

1. 265 with holly 2 bbl throttle fuel injection, and cam from Earl, cast iron headers, and the like.

2. GM overdrive automatic using Wilcap adaptor.

3. Don Smiths solution on the Desoto Suburban and use a late 1960's Pontiac Station wagon power steering (This works for the large wheelbase cars not the regular size cars).

4. A set of custom built DC motors that will electrically drive the power steering pump and the AC compressor.

5. Convert to 12 volt neg and use a 100AMP alternator to drive the above.

We will not get to this for about a year.  If you move ahead with the GM transmission let me know as I would be interested in how it goes.

James.

6 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

http://wilcap.com/webdoc8.html

Even at that there is nobody making a power rack or an electric power assist for cars over 4500 pounds...

James.

This has been pointed out to you before....there are a number of R&P units that fit the weight class you seek.......I know my Dodge truck fits your posted weight limits..not to say there would not be a lot of modification....but when you deviate from stock that is the nature of the beast.  Even the Sprinter vans have R&P...