1951 Meadowbrook Rebuild

51_Meadowbrook

As I talked to different car people around town they all seemed to agree my issue is valve guides. I figured I would try a last ditch effort and I added sea foam to the oil like  they recommended. So far I have seen no definitive change. I didn’t notice the smoking during deceleration but I didn’t drive the same roads to do a full comparison. 

On 6/26/2018 at 12:30 AM, knuckleharley said:

Or drop by to visit his wife or children when he isn't home.

Make sure you park in his place when you do.

The only one I like there is the dog ?

He just bought his “dream car.” It wasn’t the ‘73 he wanted but it’s a 1980 Corvette. It runs but didn’t have coolant in it when he got it so he doesn’t leave it running for any length of time. Still hasn’t put it in, 6 months later. Instead of doing minor touch ups to get it on the road to enjoy it a little and make sure it’s in good shape he has taken apart the brakes and is replacing all of the lines and connections. It’s not how I would have started the project but it’s his first toy so I am not giving any advice, because he won’t listen to it anyways. Yup, he’s one of those guys.. 

• Haha 1

I have cleaned the draft tube and oil breather. It didn’t look dirty but I was surprised to see the stuff that came out of the mesh opening. In response to the post about the oil passages being clogged I got sea foam and put it in the oil as it suggested. So far I haven’t seen much in terms of oil consumption and it may be coincidence but the smoke seems to have lessened. 

Every time something gets fixed another thing breaks, but that’s the “joy” they say. I had the wrong carburetor on the car since I bought it. So I got the right one and just rebuilt it. While I was testing it and revving the engine I saw the radiator hose collapse. So I finished testing the carburetor and turned the car off. That’s when I saw the steam coming from the engine bay. I looked and saw that I had blown out a freeze plug. So now I have to fix that before I can road test the car. I’ll clean the block out a little while the plug is out.