Easy way to convert front drums on 53 belv to disc

Turbo53

Your stock 15" wheels may not fit with the Scarebird kit.  My stock 15" wheels fit with Rusty Hope's (olddaddy's) kit.  There was a thread not too long ago where the stock 15" wheel didn't fit on a Scarebird kit, had to order new wheels.

Adam

IMG_0420.JPG.e3d78c6562db26144911c8aa1c5693b1.JPGIMG_0422.JPG.9b56502a3c5b77fb59406342fc60305c.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Thanks 1

www.scarebird.com

Stock wheels on my '50 Plymouth did not fit, but I don't think any disc brake will fit those particular wheels, and if they do it's because the rotor is smaller than 9" which is what the Scarebird Rotor is ( 1993-1997  Ford probe and many Mazda applications )

This is a Rusty Hope kit and required parts. The total is somewhat short. New flexible brake line hoses and a couple other small items missing. Of course, all new lines and dual master cylinder are needed also. Yet it's an investment to safety.

IMG_1921.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 3:44 AM, pflaming said:

This is a Rusty Hope kit and required parts. The total is somewhat short. New flexible brake line hoses and a couple other small items missing. Of course, all new lines and dual master cylinder are needed also. Yet it's an investment to safety.

IMG_1921.JPG

What top hat rotors did you use?

On 6/21/2018 at 9:52 PM, 51_Meadowbrook said:

I was looking at the kit for the 1951 Meadowbrook and it says that the stock wheels won’t work with the kit. It said they need 13 3/4” clearance. 

I emailed Rusty Hope. Their response was "their kit was designed for "stock wheels"" . My 51 Cranbrook has stock 15" wheels.

Anyone installed this kit, or any other, using stock 15" wheels?

ECI gives a diagram showing the need for 16"

Scarebird says "will clear"Most" stock wheels"

Edited by LazyK

all these people have done research and have options for the user to use.

So ask yourself, what advice you would like to pay for .... 16" wheels mean a larger rotor for larger brakes.

Can it be done with smaller brakes and 15" wheels .... of course

Will I tell you what needs to be purchased to make 15" wheels work ...... Rusty hope figured that out and made a working package.

You can go out and figure it out on your own, ol rusty spent years on this to help you. But there are scarebird and others to help you .... is your choice .

Rusty Hope has a recommended list. You can purchase all pieces from him or take the list to any parts house and purchase per his list. That is what I did. So check with him. It appears to me from comparative pictures that others have copied his backing plates and selling them at inflated prices. THAT IS NOT A STUDIED STATEMENT ONLY A PERSONAL OBSERVATION. 

I SUPPORT Rusty. I have bought two kits from him. 

Edited by pflaming

any direction you go, you will need to fabricate a bracket to hold the calipers .

So you want to get he brackets from people that know what is going on.

Experience from those that failed .... The advice is worth more then price of admission .

Just saying, with the brackets from rusty hope, you get a list of dodge rotors, ford calipers,  and various years of bearings and seals to make it all work.

I simply cant send you the info when someone has worked years to acquire it.

Lot of work went into this in the past.

Something to remember, ol Rusty is a active member on this forum .... I need his help and not throwing him under the bus to others.

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CreepShowCustom said:

What top hat rotors did you use?

Paul- also did you have them drill and tap the arms or did you do it yourself? I don't see a place on RustyHope's website for purchasing all the other parts- rotor, pads, etc.

4 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I believe  his site state you get a shopping list to be filled at your local big box store...I do not think there is any way he can buy the rotors and calipers himself and pass a savings on to you in doing so and on top of that you have to pay shipping from his place.....

Didn't think so...too good to be true, even for a fellow Forum member...got to stay in business!

I suggest you use this information for your particular needs. 

Please include the year/make/model info for your vehicle when you contact RustyHope with any questions and when you place your order.

ALL SALES FINAL – NO RETURNS – NO REFUNDS

NOTE:  All prices quoted include shipping to US addresses.  International shipping is higher, inquire to olddaddy@rustyhope.com for shipping quotes outside the US.