A few pictures of my 51 B3B project

I guess it's about time I posted a few pictures of my project.  I got this truck about 3 years ago,  it was either I bought it or it went to the crusher,  as I was only paying scrap price I figured I had nothing to loose.  I knew once I started though, that It would be a very time and money consuming project.  Besides replacing a bunch of sheet metal,  I changed the rear end to a Jeep Cherokee with a 3.5 ratio and drum brakes.  I installed a front ScareBird brake kit.  The engine that is currently in the truck was supplied by Dan Babb.  The engine that I am rebuilding is the one that was in the truck when I got it.  Although the engine has some issues I have been driving it,  I really love driving this old truck and am amazed at the amount of attention it draws,  seems I can't go anywhere without someone wanting to examine the truck and relate fond memories of old Dodge trucks they have known. The paint color is called Laguna Green and was available on Mini Cooper convertibles for a short time.  I put the truck together to make a comfortable driver,  not a show truck.  

P1010787small.jpg

P1040422small.jpg

P1040423small.jpg

P1010785small.jpg

• Like 7

I will replace this engine with the rebuild,  

Again, thanks to everyone for all of your input and help throughout this project.

Bill

P1040444small.jpg

P1040447small.jpg

P1040448small.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nice job! Another old dodge saved from becoming a KIA!

I believe that the seats came out of a VW Pasat. I don't know the year.  A neighbor bought them at one of the Good Guys shows for a hot rod, not realizing that they were for a four door car and wouldn't tip forward for his coupe,  he was very happy to sell them to me. I should also have mentioned that the hub caps and rims were provided by Plymouthy Adams.

Bill

I didn't use a kit for the interior, but I did get ideas from this forum and from looking at Pilot House interiors website.  I used a cardboard sheathing material that is plastic coated on both sides to make patterns and to make the final head liner, back panels, door panels and kick panels.  I'm fairly happy with the way they turned out, everything is covered with vinyl except for the kick panels which are carpet.

Bill

• Like 1

Nice job! Truck looks great! Hoping to start doing some work on mine this fall. Been accumulating some goodies to start the upgrades. Luckily my sheet metal is pretty solid. Seeing all the nice work on this site keeps inspiring me!

Turbo53

The axle that I used was from a 1990 Jeep Chreokee it's a Dana 35 with a 3:55 ratio.  the swap wasn't to difficult,  I had to cut off the Jeep spring perches then purchase new 1.75" perches to fit the axle diameter.  Welding the new perches back on is critical as you need to make sure the input shaft is in the correct plane,  there are some excellent references for how to do this on this forum.  I also needed to buy new "U" bolts.  The axle length is an inch or two shorter than stock, but doesn't seem to cause any problems. Many people have used similar axles some preferring one with disk brakes.  I replaced the axle bearings and seals as well as the brake cylinders, shoes and all brake hardware.  I removed the emergency brake hardware as I am using the stock emergency brake. This axle is not limited slip and as far as how much power it will handle, I have not idea, but I'm sure it's up to handling what my 218 can deliver.

Bill

Edited by bosworth

I'm sure you could pull tree stumps with the stock rear end,  it was a 4.11,  with the Jeep rear end the truck move along very nicely,  I don't have a tack but the engine doesn't sound very busy at 55 or 60 mph,  I also have easy to adjust brakes and  easy to find replacement parts.  I had tried to pull the rear brake drums off of the  stock axle with no success,  as I planned to swap out the axle I didn't keep up the effort.  The stock drive shaft mates up perfectly with a standard universal joint.  So yes very happy with the swap.  

Bill