Fuel lines

Bobby198412

48 minutes ago, Bobby198412 said:

Can some one tell me what size fuel line I need to run from the fuel pump to the gas tank. Also what size compression nuts I need so that I can flare the ends and connect the new line with the pump and new tank. Thanks. 1948 plymouth deluxe 

If you have a new gas tank,standard fittings will work,and you can run pretty much any size gas line you want,although a 5/16th or 3/8th will be big enough.

Do yourself a favor and run the new nickel-copper brake line as a gas line because it will never rust inside or out,and because you can bend it with your hands without it kinking.

Also buy new ethanol-proof rubber gas line and filters.

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

while you can install about any size line you want,

Smokey Yunick, owner of Daytona's Best Damn Garage in Town, was a perpetual thorn in the side of NASCAR in general, and Bill France in particular.

Yunick was perhaps best known for interpreting what the rule book said—or, perhaps, didn't say.

In 1968, he said NASCAR specified how big a fuel tank could be, but he noticed no one said how big the fuel line could be. Instead of a half-inch fuel line, Yunick created a two-inch fuel line that was 11 feet long, and held five gallons of gas.

Another Smokey Yunick story: NASCAR mandated how much a gas tank could hold, which Yunick once circumvented by placing a basketball in the tank and inflating it with air. NASCAR checked the tank's capacity and cleared it. Then, when no one was looking, Yunick deflated the basketball.

Edited by BigDaddyO

34 minutes ago, BigDaddyO said:

Smokey Yunick, owner of Daytona's Best Damn Garage in Town, was a perpetual thorn in the side of NASCAR in general, and Bill France in particular.

Yunick was perhaps best known for interpreting what the rule book said—or, perhaps, didn't say.

In 1968, he said NASCAR specified how big a fuel tank could be, but he noticed no one said how big the fuel line could be. Instead of a half-inch fuel line, Yunick created a two-inch fuel line that was 11 feet long, and held five gallons of gas.

Another Smokey Yunick story: NASCAR mandated how much a gas tank could hold, which Yunick once circumvented by placing a basketball in the tank and inflating it with air. NASCAR checked the tank's capacity and cleared it. Then, when no one was looking, Yunick deflated the basketball.

Another thing he got caught doing was turning the tubular chassis into a gas tank. NASCAR officials got suspicious when everybody else had came in for a refill,and Smokey was still circling the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck I went down to my local parts shop and just got some 5/16" brake lines in different lengths they have male fittings on each end. Bought a couple of female brass cuplers and ran that from the tank all the way to the fuel pump on the engine. Worked fine for years.