shining up the plymouth for back to the 50s

Young Ed

For the first time since I've had it my coupe is regularly indoors. Started doing a little polishing job on her. It's amazing how well what I think it original paint can still shine after being neglected for so long(my car came out of a junkyard in Wyoming). 

LIttle before and after-door is done 1/4 is untouched

IMG_20180610_144042.jpg

IMG_20180610_144048.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great!  I'm pretty sure my Meadowbrook has the original paint and I've found it responds best to the good old fashioned Turtle Wax.  None of the color comes off on the applicator so I don't think the compound in there is doing any damage...just taking off crud stuck to the paint.  

The first step that I would do is use a claybar with a detailer spray such a Mcguiers detailer spray this is the lubricant that you need but also has a poilsh or wax that when you wipe dry the moisture is puts a coating of poiish onthe car. Then you have removed all of the contaminents and the paint will be ready for some good old polish.

Do small sections at a time like one half of the hood then the next side of the hood then a fender with the clay bar.  i do this on my 39 desoto twice a year and also on my regular car to get rid of the contaninemts and the finish feels like a newborns baby bottom when running your hand across the metal.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Young Ed,

I love the luster that your car has. Ours was metallic black (yep, metallic . . .) that was too shiny (it looked like it’d been dipped in plastic), as well as the obvious inappropriate color for a “restored” post-war car. I’ve painted many cars in my time, but I just don’t want to do that anymore, so a friend of mine did. It looked great—black—but it looked like it’d been dipped in plastic, which wasn’t at all what we wanted. Our goal was to have the car look like what a 16 yo kid would have in 1966. We wanted it to have a luster like what your car exhibits, but he went nuts on polishing. So, I let it get very, very dusty, and I wiped it down with a shop rag. Then I let it get very, very dusty again, and repeated the wiping routine. This process worked! The dust knocked down the plastic-look shine, and we got the luster we wanted. Best regards . . .

1 hour ago, Dartgame said:

Hey Ed - I like the exterior mirrors on your car - any idea where they came from or where to buy them ? Car looks great BTW !

I searched all over and finally found these at Bernbaum.

CHROME CLIP-ON MIRRORS
No holes to drill, fits both sides. Except convertibles.
PART #
PLYMOUTH
DODGE
DESOTO
CHRYSLER
TRUCKS
PRICE

W-110
1930-56
1930-56
1930-56
1930-56
1930-56
$17.00/ea.
W-110
1930-56
1930-56
1930-56
1930-56
1930-56
$17.00/ea.

003_3.jpg

004_2.jpg

5 hours ago, Dartgame said:

Hey Ed - I like the exterior mirrors on your car - any idea where they came from or where to buy them ? Car looks great BTW !

they are So-Cal speed shop mirrors if I remember correctly. The drivers side one works fairly well the pass side one could be a little bigger or maybe placed better.