Parking Brake Rebuild

mattimuss

Hey All,

I have been having an issue with the parking brake disengaging when I release the handle and finally decided to take a look.  I am pretty sure that what I found was the original setup from the factory...original parking brake lining plus 77 years worth of dirt, grease and rust!  Gotta give Ma Mopar credit where credit is due...77 years on one lining!

I pulled it apart and found the the lining was worn down to the rivets.  And knowing my Gramps as I do I know that he never, ever considered changing it as he never, ever used the parking brake!

I knew I had a spare parking brake assembly in a box-o-parts, but when I pulled it I discovered that it was for a 1938-40 Plymouth and the mount point was about 10 degrees off to the right [see attachment].  Now, I probably could have made it work, but I didn't want to take the chance, and I am lucky enough to have a lining repair company less than a mile from my house!

So I spent a few hours removing the old lining & rivets, cleaning, sand blasting and painting.  Once this was done I took the original assembly [with original lining as pattern] over to Peck's and had them reline the assembly.  I took it in last Saturday at 1:30pm and picked it up today at 3:30pm.  Not too bad and it looks damn near new [see attachments].

Now I get to clean the tail shaft and parking brake drum, put her all back together, adjust the parking brake and take her out for a test drive to the milkshake shop ?

20180612_181838a.jpg

20180618_161944a.jpg

20180618_162443b.jpg

• Like 4