Radiator swap question re P15

BobT-47P15

I put in a Champion radiator. The fins are very soft so protect the front and back of the radiator with cardboard or sheet metal during installation. It only takes a few oops moments with knuckles or tools to put ugly dings in the fins. This is only cosmetics, it will not hurt the radiator. But you will be happier every time you open your hood.

• Like 1

Well......I took the new and old radiators on a tour of Joplin welding shops this afternoon.  The first one said he could re-do

the upper neck to a 45 degree angle, and also make and attach brackets to hold those little air control fins.....a couple hours

time probably at $65 per hour or about $130.  Went to a second place who said he does not do the type of welding needed

for aluminum.  Recommended a third shop across town.....who does the needed type of welding.....and he took a little pie

cut out of the top of the original neck......making it an approximate 45 degree angle bend.  And for that service, which took

20 minutes or so, he charged me $20.  I decided not to attach the air control fins at this time.....no one but a big time 

Plymouth person will  even know about those fins.  Think I will paint the top tank.....sides and bottom of the rad black,

but not paint the cooling fin area.  Will not quibble with the manufacturer unless the opportunity presents itself.

The little ring is what he cut out of the neck to make the new bend.

DSC00055.jpgDSC00056.jpgDSC00058.jpgDSC00059.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finally have the new aluminum radiator painted (around the edges) -- left the core unpainted.  Have it installed and

hoses attached.  Replaced the top hose with one about an inch longer than the old hose.....reused the bottom hose.

Used the ridged hose because the angle of the neck on the tank was still not quite in line with the neck on

the engine.    Tried a smooth hose and the only preformed angle hose I could find kinked too much.  This

ribbed hose is tough stuff and will bend a bit without kinking.  I know some fellows on here do not favor the

ribbed hose as it was  not an original style.  But....sometimes you gotta do different stuff.  Have not driven

the car yet to see how it performs on the heat gauge.  Will have to do that in a few days.  I did notice my fan

is farther away from the back side of the new radiator......on the old one you could just barely insert a finger

between the two.   Now you can insert a couple fingers between.  I guess this new unit is a bit thinner.  

I had to purchase an overflow hose at a local auto supply.......it was a pre packaged thing about 36 inches long....

which is just right.....but it was very flexible.......so I had to make a couple guides to run it thru to keep it in place.

Even though the manufacturer sends a 14 pound pressure cap with the rad, Mr. Coatney advised me to replace

it with a 4 pound cap from NAPA........which I did.  They had to order from the warehouse and it arrived the next

day.  I covered the cap with my lovely chrome Cal Custom dressup cover.  Have had it a long time.....looked for

another on eBay and discovered one just like it for sale for $99.99 opening bid.  Sure didn't realize they had

gotten that valuable.

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

• Thanks 1