Automatic Choke

Richard Cope

Hi, 

Have a 39 Ply. stock 201 engine with a carter carburetor D6A21.  Does anyone have any thoughts if a Sisson Automatic choke can be used?  If so, would it replace the manual choke completely or can it possibly be used along with?  If so, appreciate a photograph of the set-up.  Thank you in advance for your help

Regards,

Richard

The sisson automatic choke was an option for plymouth. The Dodge, Chrylse and Desoto had two studs on the top of t eintak manifold inwhich the unit bolted directly to the manifold. The 39 Plymouth could be adapted with a special braket and the sisson choke then attached to the braket.  I am the person that did the presentation and the power point on the sission choke at the AACa annual lecture in Philadelphia.

Fell free to contact me. I live near Philadelphia PA  Valley forge Pa

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

I have two of these, not using either one. Just how effective is the device? Was it more for marketing purposes than for an improvement for cold weather starting?

it was a step forward in non-human intervention in controlling the fuel mixture when starting a cold engine...no pulling/pushing choke to various stages during warm up or excess consumption of fuel for those that forgot to push that knob to put the choke vertical from those last few degrees 

4 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

The sisson automatic choke was an option for plymouth. The Dodge, Chrylse and Desoto had two studs on the top of t eintak manifold inwhich the unit bolted directly to the manifold. The 39 Plymouth could be adapted with a special braket and the sisson choke then attached to the braket.  I am the person that did the presentation and the power point on the sission choke at the AACa annual lecture in Philadelphia.

Fell free to contact me. I live near Philadelphia PA  Valley forge Pa

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

The choke unit is bolted to the exhaust manifold with two studs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your car's choke is what was factory installed, I'd leave it as is.  Only benefit would be not having to monkey with the choke to start and run the car.  I took the Sisson choke out of our D24 because it wasn't working right, not because I had to have a manual one, and replaced it with a generic manual one a long time ago.  Never bothered to put a good Sisson choke back in, but I'm happy with the manual one.   

Thank everyone for your feedback.  My thought was to make the car more reliable, however the automatic choke isn't what I had imagined.  Believe I will stay with the manual choke and make sure that it is closed after warming up..

Regards,

Richard 

I like the Sisson choke setups.  ?

When exhaust manifold is cold the choke (when properly adjusted) will close the choke butterfly to about 70% closed. When the stater is turned on a wire from the starter Will cause the choke butterfly to go to about 100% closed but only when cranking the motor. As soon as the starter disengages the choke will go back to about 70% then less and less as the exhaust manifold heats up. Before using the starter you need to open the throttle  slightly for the choke to close and also raise the idle speed. As motor warms up it also requires a tap on the throttle

to allow the idle speed to lower- but only if the car is not driven, just sitting still.

If you exhaust manifold has a flat spot on top about 2 1/2" long front to back and about 1-1/2 wide it has a spot for the choke to be mounted- probably will need to drill 1/4" mount holes or if not per desoto 1939 a clamp on type bracket will be needed.

If you look a Ebay for sisson chokes be aware the two types were made for of Mopar  flat motors- One is to put the choke behind the carb. (early to !948?) and later were they mounted in front of the carb. (1949 -later). the arm that works the choke come out of opposite sides.

All up to you, wiring is easy, rod to carb. not so much unless you buy a carb. made to work with the Sisson. But it Can be done with some engineering!  ?

DJ