2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 front suspension problem

Bobacuda

OK, my daughter's boyfriend's truck has proven to be a real PITA for me.  While doing a ton of overlooked maintenance and trying to get the automatic transmission to shift properly and go into overdrive, I noticed the front swaybar end links were "leaning" to the side.  WTF?  I was going to replace the front suspension parts (drag link, tie rod , track bar and those links) but seeing the "lean" caught me totally off guard.  What causes this and how do I fix it.

BTW, replacing the steering box (a 1 - 2 hr job according to YouTube) only took me closer to 6 hours...and a messed up lower back.

Dodge 2500 front suspension.docx

I was not able to open the attachment, but the leaning swaybar endlinks sounds new to me...maybe the track bar is a little off?  I have replaced the endlink bushings with a kit from Moog that was economical, though it took some convincing to get the counter man to look the part up as he swore up and down that kit did not exist and tried to sell me a link kit for a lot more $$$...

As for the steering, I drove a wandering beast for years before finding out that a fix was available, and have not had any problems in that area since...

Maybe the sway bar has shifted?  I replaced the bushings at the frame with a different Moog kit and had to line everything back up so the end links would be straight.

As for the transmission, Dad's 01 CTD started having an issue getting into overdrive, with only 150k on the odometer... I stewed on it after driving, and found the cheapest solution was to not do an overhaul (his possible remedy) but to modify his driving habits.  Whenever the transmission would not shift to OD, I quickly take my foot off the throttle and then punch it, similar to double clutching...this relieves the hydraulic pressure on the internals that are sticking then hammers them with back pressure to unstick whatever valve isn't cooperating, which allows the upshift to occur smoothly.  Some days this has to be done a lot, other days not so much...the biggest problem is when it's below 40 and the transmission fluid hasn't warmed up yet...there have been some mornings driving his truck to work that I'll be on the road for 5 miles before it can find OD, but once it's up to temperature, it's back to it's regular programming :cool:

The "how to drive it mods" did not help.  I installed the "magic wire" with the capacitor and rerouted the ground wire away from the alternator, which helped for a while (stopped the shift in/shift out issues).  Several months later, it simply refused to go into OD or to lock up the torque converter.  We replaced the fluid, filter, OD and TCC relay (one piece) and the pressure governor.  The new gov did not seem to want to fit right.  Once it was all back in place, the pressure in the trans would not exceed 60 lbs - in fact it decreased to 38 lbs at higher RPMS.  We will change out the gov with a new one (again) and change the transducer to it as well.  If we get all of that functioning and it still doesn't work, it's on to the TPS next.

The more I work on this, the more I like my flathead.

Young mechanic I know tells me that the "lean" will zero out when the suspension is on the ground and loaded.  Just replace the worn out parts and all will be well.  In any event, this was a new one on me.

Hooked the pressure gauge and code reader to the truck before re-opening the trans and changing the governor (again) and the pressure transducer- all readings are now correct.  Go figure.  Anyhow, the beast is shifting, but has to be coaxed into overdrive the first time as JBNeal said or by decelerating, then accelerating the first time you top a hill (plenty of those around here).

Front suspension did even out when the beast was back on the ground.

• Thanks 1

At least you steering gear sector shaft didn't break off and you lose your steering! My friend has a 2001 2500 diesel that did that last week. Common problem too as are the transmissions.