My Scarebird Install 1948 Dodge part II

ebruns1

Ok Fellas,

Thanks for all the input and advice on part 1.  Now here are some follow-up photos and additional guidance requested.

For some reason we noticed there were two sets of brake bracket holes (we assume) drilled in the front wheel well frame.  Perhaps one set were for Plym's and Dodge, the other set for Desoto/Chrysler?  Any way, take a look at the photos.  The new brake hose coming off from the caliper does not really want to route to the original forward location - it would have to snake between the shock and the big metal arm.  The rearward two holes right by the upper shock mount bolt seem to be a better route.  I can also use  the shorter 15" hoses the kit recommends instead of the optional 17" hoses.  The only issue I can foresee is if I ever need to install new shocks it looks like the bracket will be blocking the shock bolt.  So if I ever have to install new shocks, I guess I'll need to unbolt the bracket and pull the lines away from the frame to the get at them.  

Did anyone else run across this problem and if so how did you resolve it?

Another issue, we couldn't find a good way or spot to install the proportional valve to the rear drum brakes, so we settled for this cobbled together bracket set up.  Will be a PIA to adjust, but hopefully once it is set up how we like it we shouldn't have to play with it again.  My mechanic buddy is not a finesse kind of guy, but I'm lucky he's willing to help me out with my project.  Plus he has a spare lift in his shop that it's been sitting on for the last 5 months so I can't complain!

Jim

20180616_104705_resized.jpg

20180616_123223_resized.jpg

20180616_111047_resized.jpg

My understanding is that bandwidth is charged by data transmitted so multiple threads, while not necessary; wouldn't use up more than adding to a thread, your comment, my comment, anything else posted, or just a bunch of miscellaneous browsing. Even browsing the site adds clicks that help determine ad revenue. Right, wrong, low and outside, a swing and a miss? 

2 hours ago, ebruns1 said:

Rear mount holes look best to me. As long as the hose isn't stressed and nothing rubs on it you should be good to go. It looks like your prop valve is on the outside of the frame and that would probably be okay and certainly easier to access. For some reason I think I'd still rather have it on the inside.

Mack,

I would have preferred to mount the prop valve up through the floor somewhere that would be accessible from the driver seat so it could be tweaked while driving/testing.  That photo is actually showing it mounted between the inner x member and the driver side frame ( it's a convertible, not sure if hard tops had the x-member).  It will be very difficult to adjust but hopefully once dialed in will not require further attention...

I have the shorter 15" brake hoses on order, those 17" Cadillac hoses are much too long and would need that bracket cut off as well.  

Frank - should I re-post my build photos under the last thread?  I didn't realize it was such a big issue.  I'd be happy to donate to the cause if someone would tell me where to contribute.  I value all the constructive criticism.  I've seen plenty of off-topic random posts on the forum...could they be deleted to save space?

1 hour ago, ebruns1 said:

Mack,

I would have preferred to mount the prop valve up through the floor somewhere that would be accessible from the driver seat so it could be tweaked while driving/testing.  That photo is actually showing it mounted between the inner x member and the driver side frame ( it's a convertible, not sure if hard tops had the x-member).  It will be very difficult to adjust but hopefully once dialed in will not require further attention...

I have the shorter 15" brake hoses on order, those 17" Cadillac hoses are much too long and would need that bracket cut off as well.  

Frank - should I re-post my build photos under the last thread?  I didn't realize it was such a big issue.  I'd be happy to donate to the cause if someone would tell me where to contribute.  I value all the constructive criticism.  I've seen plenty of off-topic random posts on the forum...could they be deleted to save space?

actually the finger pointing on similar/related post and keeping them in one thread is for the reader to be able to track what has been done/said and make his contribution productive and not just another mynah bird repeating what has been posted earlier......

Ebruns1,

Don’t worry about “wasting band width” (that’s a ridiculous remark . . .). And, don’t worry about occasionally “going off-topic”. Everyone tends to do so—it’s human nature. The site gurus do an incredible job of managing this site. Some people just get their undies in a twist over the most inconsequential things. Just ignore them—I do, and it makes the experience here so much more enjoyable!!! Note: searching the site for previous threads on same/similar topics isn’t the easiest thing to do. Oft times it’s easier to make an inquiry, and let someone steer you in the direction you need to go. I’ve found that the number of helpful/cooperative individuals here far and away outnumber the . . . . . “others”. Best regards to you . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Ebruns1,

Don’t worry about “wasting band width” (that’s a ridiculous remark . . .). And, don’t worry about occasionally “going off-topic”. Everyone tends to do so—it’s human nature. The site gurus do an incredible job of managing this site. Some people just get their undies in a twist over the most inconsequential things. Just ignore them—I do, and it makes the experience here so much more enjoyable!!! Note: searching the site for previous threads on same/similar topics isn’t the easiest thing to do. Oft times it’s easier to make an inquiry, and let someone steer you in the direction you need to go. I’ve found that the number of helpful/cooperative individuals here far and away outnumber the . . . . . “others”. Best regards to you . . .

The panties I don't wear do get in a twist when all the eggs are not in the same basket. Hard to track a project or question when there are multiple threads from the same person asking the same question. And hard to know when the question has been answered and some closure can be given when there are several threads about the same issue. 

6 hours ago, ebruns1 said:

Mack,

I was in a bad mood and I apologize for scolding over nothing, you are a grown man and can make your own decisions on how to post on the forum, one thread makes it simpler to follow but on the other hand people tend to lose interest in the same old thread everyday........6 one way, half a dozen the other.

Just throwing in 2 cents - I have the Scarebird kit on my car and love it. The hoses they recommended in mine were too long and rubbed against the tire (I had checked it and it looked like everything cleared) so best to stick with the shorter ones. Also, I have the ECI dual master set up and power brakes with a residual pressure valve to the front brakes.  It all worked pretty well together, but something just seemed a bit off. A combination valve really pulled it together, and the car stops smooth, level, and straight with minimal dive. Just something you might want to look at before you get too far.