Cranbrook Sedan vs convertible similarities

John32369

Ok I’ve found the shell of a 52 Cranbrook convertible. It has no motor or transmission and no interior. I know where a  52 Cranbrook Sedan is that’s complete and was running and has overdrive. What interior parts can I use for the convertible and what exterior/ trim parts?

Edited by John32369

When you say shell, is it just the body or is the convertible frame with it and if so is it in decent condition? This could be a really rewarding project for you in the long run. Best of luck.

John R

18 minutes ago, John32369 said:

any idea what interiors would interchange?

you can get the front seat out of a 2 door but I believe the back seat is convertible only. It's more narrow because of the top wells on each side of the seat. You might be able to cut down a sedan back seat to make it work. Beyond that the frame on the convert has extra bracing and some of the floor pan is different on the convert too. 

Good question. I am not sure but  Iknow that the Desoto is a bigger car so the seat dimensions and mounting may be different. The possible solution that Young Ed mentioned seems to be a good alternative as a sedan rear seat would probably easier to score than a convertible one. Best of luck here.

John R

I do know where there is a p23 convert in a junkyard but there isn't much left of it. However I do believe both seat frames are sitting there. 

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

I do know where there is a p23 convert in a junkyard but there isn't much left of it. However I do believe both seat frames are sitting there. 

PM me please

13 hours ago, Young Ed said:

This could be your answer for a rear seat. I hope so.

John R

10 hours ago, John Reddie said:

This could be your answer for a rear seat. I hope so.

John R

I really hope so. I wouldn't mind having a convertible.

Yes, converts are nice and fun to have.  There are definite differences from sedans and coupes.  The 46-48 P15 Plymouth takes

a unique rear seat--it has a piece of plywood as a back that forms part of the top well, and is a bit smaller.  The top bows are usually hard to find if missing.....may have a wooden bow above the rear window for tacking of the top.    I don't know if the top is operated

by a vacuum system, or is hydraulic/electric.  There is a place in Florida that deals with such items.  The inside sun visors may be

smaller and different from a sedan, with a special mounting bracket.  Window frames are likely different.   Front clip from a two

door and probably a four door should fit.  Not sure about the trunk lid size.  Some (or maybe all) stainless  from a two door should

work.  Not sure if there are very unique pieces on that body style.  You might buy and look thru a parts manual for the model.  Just a few thoughts as my car is a ragtop and does have a few specific convert pieces.  

It may be narrower due to the side panels for  the top frame to go into when the top is lowered. As was earlier stated, a rear cushion from a sedan may be able to be modified to fit without too much difficulty.

John R