50's MOPAR rim bolts vs studs

pflaming

Today I put aired up tires on my VW pan so I could tow and move it. It, like my Plymouth has the bolt attaching method not studs and nuts. Is there an engineering advantage for such?

lots of late model European cars still use the bolts over the stud and nut...it is generally accepted that the clean look of a finished bolt head has much more aesthetic appeal over a nut with exposed thread...then you have the nut and bolts folks who argue torque values...and then the gorilla grip mechanics that say stripping of studs is common....whereas the bolt will not but if you cross thread the bolt you got an expensive hub to replace....then folks argue that if you fit adapter and offset wheels and or fit the thicker alloy wheels then you have but to change the bolt length instead of pressing out studs and installing correct longer lengths.....pick your poison....lots to go around...on my German cars that use the bolts, the very wheel being stock, steel or alloy and or aftermarket...BLM (bolt length matters)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Yeah, why do they do that? And why can't there be standard bolt patterns, or even standard numbers of lugs? What the heck's a lug, anyway; is it a nut or is it a bolt, and what committee decided to call 'em that? "Yeah, that thing there, whatever else it is; we're gonna call that a lug!!" And now that I'm fully awake and on my third cup of coffee, what gives Mountain Dew that weird green color and who decided that was a good color for a refreshing beverage? Somebody knows but nobody admits to nothin'! It's a plot, I tell ya! (imagine Rodney Dangerfield tugging on his shirt collar)

• Haha 1

In almost all production situations, increased part count increases cost and American companies have always been penny-pinchers.  So, why do they almost all used studs and nuts?  While the premium Europeans use bolts?   That logic would seem to indicate that two parts are better in someones opinion.. 

I know I prefer them just for the ease of mounting wheels.  I've converted my pickup, even have converted my garden tractors.  Installing a little tractor tire full of liquid ballast with bolts is no fun!

I wonder if USA mfgrs went studs because of ease of changing tires?  Consumer driven, GM and Ford drove the market. USA drives more miles, thus more flat tires on the road. 

As I was attempting to allude a few posts back, there's probably no real reason any of it happened. Different engineers, different decisions. Kinda like using LH threads in some circumstances. Some engineers saw value in it and others didn't. 

Seems like I recall having my hands on a European car that had 3 bolt wheels, maybe a Citroen; maybe I imagined it. I remember reading about a Nascar team trying 4 lug wheels to speed up pit stops. I kinda like the old 5 bolt VW wheels. It's easy to get one bolt started and then rotate the wheel/hub to line up another and before you know it you're on your way.

Edited by MackTheFinger