Put My Dog Down Today...Been A Rough Day

keithb7

I never expected it would hit me like this. Maybe posting here will cheer me up. 

We got Abby at 6 weeks old. A pure bred boxer. She became such a great friend and companion. She became one of the family. Like a kid who never talked back. Always happily ate her dinner. Never snuck out or stole from the liquor cabinet.  Obedient. Always excited to see you everyday. Do anything any time for a treat. Clowing around, ready for a good wrestle anytime. 

Then one day she lost her appetite and got sick. Abby never complained. In her worsening state she dragged herself up to greet us. Abby would have been 12 years old in August.

Today she was treated to donuts and an ice creme cone. A trip to the park. Finally she laid down for her final nap. Surrounded by my wife and I. 

Boy that hit me hard outta left field. Just a dog right? That’s what I thought. My first lifetime pet experience. It was great. Sad they must pass. As we all do. RIP Abby. 

Very sorry for you’re loss.  Sounds like she will be missed.  I been there a few times.  

You know what they say!!

You can lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for 6 hours and who will be excited to see you when you open the trunk???

• Like 2

A loyal dog is often closer than any person with whom you have a relationship.....they become so much a part of your life.  They ask for nothing and give you their all....Sorry for your loss.  My little buddy is approaching ten this coming Christmas....an absolute fantastic companion.  Seems to always agree with what I say...lol

It's not just a dog, it's a loved family member. Non dog owners don't get it, a dog's loyalty, friendship and love is unique to humans. I had to put Taco, our 15 year old Border Collie down in February, a year and half after losing our Aussie, Ruby.   Good news is their is another friend waiting out their to join your life and family, you just have to find them. We first added Sunny, and six months ago, Roxie.  It doesn't make the hurt go away, but it does help. 

Taco and Ruby, still missed...

DSCN0129.jpg.9c3f1234dec9e54aa8c97e7106bef781.jpg

Our new family members, Sunny, after playing hard! (Cattle dog) 

IMG_0101.jpg.1880e105fb9fd78f56b0a7beac5bebc2.jpg

Roxie, who is Sunny's new best friend. (Aussie and Queensland Heeler)

IMG_0077.jpg.f4a08af4235fd7a7f80a2fb31c30954c.jpg

• Like 1

sorry to hear that.  As others have said, they are not pets, they are family members, fur babies and true companions.  I haven't had a dog for decades, we are not cat people (yikes?) but they claw (or chew) their way into your heart and will always be truly missed.  Hang in there bud.

Have had several dogs and other animals in my life. Of all of these my last dog (Mick Jagger) could sing with the best and even took a liking to Plymouthy Adams. After he was gone my wife and I decided no more animals as it was too tough to say goodby. 

TimandMick.jpg

So I bought my wife an electric cat from Amazon that meows, purrs, and loves to have its belly rubbed. It will be with us forever. 

002.jpg

• Soft and cuddly pet with fur inspired by real feline breeds
  • Features VibraPurr technology for purrs that sound and feel like real purring
  • Movements that mimic a real cat
  • Authentic cat sounds
  • Companion Pet and Care Guide
  • Soft and cuddly pet with fur inspired by real feline breeds
  • Features VibraPurr technology for purrs that sound and feel like real purring
  • Movements that mimic a real cat
  • Authentic cat sounds
  • Companion Pet and Care Guide
  • x4 1.5V C Alkaline Batteries included

I Stood By Your Bed Last Night
I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep. I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear, "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea, You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore. I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care. I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key. I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair. I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me to be so near you everyday. To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew, in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide, I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see. Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me.

~Author Unknown

Thanks for all your responses. There are some real nice humane people here. I am often reluctant to post personal things like this on the internet. You never really know the audience. Obviously there are some real classy folks here. The company you have given has been great. I already know today that yes, I will own another dog. They just bring so much to your life. True if we never get attached we are not pained when they pass. However it is worth it. A man's best friend.

This was Abby's last trip to the park yesterday. Staring down the donut bag. LOL.

4JBWeQarKrQwdjPFIYJ-g2-Yl8aJWPHNA6JFWIWY

• Like 4

An Air Force family was relating to England and gave us a Yorkie. He was with us for 15 years  at age 19 he was nearly blind and very feeble so we put him to rest. We all quietly cried as we drove home. First and last time I did that, but he was special.

Keith that's a great pic of  Abby on the bench.  I laughed when I saw her in the Gap shirt.  The reason I laughed we also have a boxer, ours was a rescue dog from the pound.  When we first got her she had  a very skittish nature, easily startled and has some weird ways about her.  We've had her about a year and a half, it's gotten better but it's still noticeable.  Anyway this past winter we kept her and our heeler in the laundry room when it was cold out. The heeler has a thick coat but the boxer not so much. My wife bought the boxer a sweater.  When she put that sweater on that dog and set it outside I darn near peed my pants laughing.  Ginger ( the dogs name, not my wife ) walked like she was really afraid to move, she stepped with her legs stiff and very far apart.  She saw me laughing and looked so humiliated and disgusted.  My wife feels bad goes and takes the sweater off Ginger.  I got it on video but lost it when my last phone died.  This was an Americas Funniest videos winner hands down!  

• Like 1

Im so very sorry. I agree, theres no such thing as just a dog or cat. They are loved, trusted and devoted members of the family and its terribly heartbreaking when they cross the Rainbow Bridge. My heart hurts for you. Im so sorry.

John

10300900_10153455315583532_7407103027059342246_n.jpg

There is no such thing as "Just a dog" any more than just a "kid"  We fall in love with them and they with us. We share with two dogs, a cat and three rabbits and all are precious.  Dread they day they begin to go. Sorry for all who have had to let the friends go.

Another thought on this theme:

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Your post strikes a note with me as with so many others here. Your emotions are palpable as our family just had a get together to say goodbye to Molly. Molly started having seizures and the meds at the time were not helping. Those raw emotions rock you down to your soul without warning, so again, I feel your pain.

Your sharing was well timed for me and I can see how your love for Abbey has also touched so many others here on the forum who too have shared their story. Old cars, trucks and pets can really bring a family together.

My takeaway is to pickup some ice cream and check out cats on Amazon.  I also think @P15-D24 makes a good point: "Good news is their is another friend waiting out their to join your life and family, "

We are all (Molly too) deeply sorry for your loss.

20180307_170250-800x450.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tim and others. It amazes me that people take any dog to a shelter much more so that they leave QUALITY dogs there. Our youngest son has adopted three great dogs, this is the third one, brought him here this weekend. He is extremely shy, cautious, leery, etc. he is warming up to me and will become my sometime traveling companion and shop dog. 

When we must close the chapter on one, another is waiting for a great life. 

Best to you. 

IMG_4720.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for your loss Keith, and sorry it took so long for me to respond.  I normally don’t read the off-topic section.  Our boxer Brandi has been quite sick lately.  I’m not so sure she’s gonna make it.  We’ve taken her to the vet and he hasn’t found anything except that she has a large stomach.  She’s been throwing up a lot and has lost almost 10lbs.  Not sure what else to say.  Makes me sad that there’s not much I can do.

3 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

Did you or your vet discuss the possibility of a bowel obstruction?

Yes, he took xrays; no obstruction. But she’d need an MRI to see everything.  He said she could have a ball of cancer in there that is causing the problem that the xray can’t see.  He doesn’t have the equipment.

Edited by Worden18