Steering shaft failure help needed

aj1936

I so tired of my bad luck. Just got done replacing rear bearings, seals , brakes on rear axle which turned out to be a 47 Plymouth. This is a 1936 Dodge pickup. Backed it out of garage went to turn and the steering wheel twisted off. It seems that previous owner had done some sloppy welding on steering shaft for some reason. There was no threaded shaft on the end it look like they welded a hollow threaded  section onto original steering shaft as there was a bolt holding steering wheel on not a nut.  It broke off below the steering column which means I have to pull steering box to see what is up. Is there an aftermarket steering column that will adapt to the Dodge's steering  box. It steered fine before this and didnt have any issues this past summer. Glad it happened in driveway and not on road. Was thinking of buying one of the universal steering columns and welding or adapting it to the current steering tube on pickup. Any ideas?

I took out the Gemmer steering box and installed a GM 525 Steering box (PN 91032277 from Speedway). Made an adapter plate so I could use existing holes in frame. I used just the top end of the old steering shaft and attached with a u-joint. Also had to expand the end of the steering column tube (using a piece of exhaust pipe). Steering is much improved, but had to hook up the horn button and wire down the side of the steering column. I would guess that one of the universal steering columns would work well for this, too.

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg