California Peaches

pflaming

This is my friend's fruit packing house, on source of California fruit. This valley has water and deep sandy loam. It is the only place on earth where such exits. Peaches roots drown out very fast so they need soil that drains, sandy loam provides that. 

IMG_3384.JPG

There are lots of peach orchards near here, in the hilly country in southern Illinois. They generally produce free stone peaches which my wife doesn't like. About this time of year some of the roadside fruit stands will have Georgia cling peaches which she really likes. We had a few peach trees when I was growing up on the farm, generally used for switches to use on me and my brothers. Maybe that's why I don't like peaches!

Georgia is the Peach state but yet SC out produces them.....(well last time I checked they did)  We have a huge packing facility about 15 miles from here...easy I-75 access and a big big attraction for those that pass through the area.  Not sure of their crop this year, mine, frost got the peaches, I have but a handful on the trees.  My nectarines bit the big one also but even with that still had quite a number to munch on......majority went to ruin...I had to run out of state and the rain hit, that seems to make them rot on the tree like almost overnight...just finished picking the few plums I got also.  Apples, they doing good got apples and like the year before the tree is making a second bloom cycle...

We went to Hilton Head 2yrs ago and made a trip to Savannah while there.  I remember stopping at a road side stand and buying a bag of peaches.  I have to say they were the best I've ever tried.  They weren't really big or picture perfect,  I even thought when I got 'em  this is probably a waste. Tried one as we drove off and was really surprised.  I meant to go back and get more but we got busy and didn't make it.  We in Savannah this week, are they in season yet?

Back home the next county over is Grainger Co., suppose to be famous for their tomatoes.  Now I usually raise my own because I can grow them better than I can buy them.  When I grow them I don't use pesticides, If they do well fine if they don't fine  but usually  I don't have problems other than wild animals.  Neighbors cows got in my garden last year but didn't do much damage.   I like them over ripe almost ready to bust  lol.  Truly homegrown is better than the ones raised in a hot house or the mass growing operations.  Also I like the German  style plants,  they have better flavor in my opinion.   I have several apple trees but I had to cut them back this past fall, they were way over due for a trim.  So I don't expect any this year.  Mine are the cooking apple variety,  not sure the exact type.

Old timers, we did it too, just before full winter, before killing freeze, we would cut the tomato stalk just above the ground, then carefully place tat plant, with tomatoes still attached on a bed sheet. Then move tha to a cellar or basement. The energy in the plant will fully ripen all attached tomatoes, so fresh tomatoes nearly til Christmas from one plant. 

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

Old timers, we did it too, just before full winter, before killing freeze, we would cut the tomato stalk just above the ground, then carefully place tat plant, with tomatoes still attached on a bed sheet. Then move tha to a cellar or basement. The energy in the plant will fully ripen all attached tomatoes, so fresh tomatoes nearly til Christmas from one plant. 

I have never heard of that but an man once told me you could take green tomatoes soak newspapers on water and something ( I forget what else ) and wrap the tomatoes.  Put them in the basement or cellar well away from sunlight or heat and they would ripen slowly over the winter.

Yes, that works also, but they do not grow they just slowly ripen. We never soaked the newspapers though. We would also leave potatoes in the ground, cover the area with straw and dirt or hay bales, freeze protection. Fresh potatoes all winter.