Need a photo of installed points.

casper50

I and a couple of other people think that the reason my coupe runs poorly is because of points bounce.  With the point set that I'm using there seems to be no way to anchor the flat spring to two places.  It anchors to the screw where the wire goes but how does the other end press against anything?  There seems to be very little pressure keeping the points in contact.  They open really easy.  This is the set that I'm using.  https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/bwd-3123/ignition---tune-up-16776/points---condensers-16855/ignition-breaker-points-12492/6aeeda0d49cf/bwd-ignition-contact-set/a81/2585686/1947/dodge/custom?q=points&pos=2

Anyone have a photo of how it's suppose to be?  The manual photo isn't clear but from what I can see there';s nothing to compress the spring.

(per our earlier PMs when I suggested point bounce and the link you sent in PM) your pictured points have the detached spring that will hook around the pivot and attach to the nut as the other smaller spring bar that is actually the electrical connector and not the actual spring itself albeit it does have light tension....you must use both.  It is this style replacement point that is causing so many people to have float issues as they do not use this spring on install so to not knowing just how to affix that spring.   If you must, and it may be better for you al around, just go to another style contact set that has both the electrical strap and tension spring already staked in position as they were in the past.   Do you still have my phone number...you can call am up for the day

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

as an added note the heavier spring should also stay isolated due to the pivot post is insulated....look at this set and connect yours to match...

if you have the correct push/pull ounce gauge..test to 17-20 ounces of tnesion

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Contact-Set-Ignition-Standard-AL-4556P/332679625612?fits=Year%3A1948|Make%3ADodge&epid=20017011039&hash=item4d75403b8c:g:0dYAAOSw9cFa2-1O

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I had the same issue with a set just like you linked. That extra spring piece should hook into the points arm. I don't have a picture to show it, but there should have a slot in the arm for the tab to hook into. Then when it wraps around the pivot and is attached to the screw post it will add the tension you need. Once I figured that out they worked just fine for many years.

Edited by Merle Coggins

Merle I thought the same as it has a tab on the spring that looks as if it should go somewhere.  See photos.  Where would it go?  There is no gap under the small brown insulator for it to fit under.  It's a flush fit.

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

I took this photo of a set of points (Made in USA).Hope this helps...

423187260_KEMTV13PointsMadeinUSA.JPG.36290dd293e7427469ce3c511340e34f.JPG

• Thanks 1

I am very happy to say it runs sooooooo much better now.  As Plymouthy Adams said I most likely will not swap out the dual carb for the stock config now.  Have to do a little bit more tweaking but It's way good enough for a trip to town this afternoon.    Thanks to everyone that helped.  It is much appreciated.

• Like 2