little Hit and Miss going on here

Plymouthy Adams

I picked this up at the local flea market not long back.  The man assured me he had no clue if or if not it would run as he has owned it for years and never tried to start the thing.  Being a bit familiar with the Model 72 I found it to be 100% complete and with compression.  Put gas in it, 16:1 ratio, hit on third kick...running on the 6th...sweet running little engine.  Maytag engines have always been a favorite of mine and happy to have found it.   Maybe find a Model 92 next.

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

Cool score, looks to be in great shape.  I had one several years back,  found it in the trunk of a parts car I had bought.   Got  any plans for it?

When I was a teenager these were common at auctions and had no use, therefore kids could buy them cheap. 25 cents to a dollar or two. We'd run the heck out of them for no particular purpose. Put a 3-4 foot straight pipe on them, let them cackle.

i wonder what happened to all of them?

Didn't realize they were twin cylinder.  Speaking of scooters etc.  My first go cart was powered by a 3 1/2 HP REO lawnmower engine through a hydraulic clutch from an Easy washing machine, through a belt to the drive wheel.  So I had a fluid drive go kart that started pulling at just under 1200 rpm, the other guys waited till their engines got to around 3000 before their centrifugal clutches started to transfer power. Dad worked at the Easy Plant as a punch press set up man.

I also belong to another site.  Their are two retired brothers in  North Dakota or Montana that constructed their own chopper with Ape Hangers and all,  Powered  by a hit and miss engine.  They take it to car shows and have a lot of fun 'cruising' around with it.  If I can find a pic and get it transferred over here I will.  It had car tires on the back.  They are creator guys just like you

• Like 1

These guys are from center of North Dakota.  Looks like their "Hit and Miss" is a bit bigger than a wash machine motor.  We had a Maytag motor in the garage and think I spent half my childhood kicking that pedal down hoping it would fire up,  never did tho.

These Maytag engines were used on washing machines because rural areas did not have electricity as soon as cities and towns. Most farm families had several children in those days, so was areal labor saver. Sure beat a tub and a washboard, but still had to hang everything to dry.