Retro fiting Indicators

Flatheadgasser

Hi all looking to put indicators on my 41 dodge luxury liner and I am looking for ideas, what have you done to your cars so they don't look to modern any pictures would be gratefully received.

Cheers Damon

you are speaking of front fender turn indicators......stock is best if you can find them...you can also utilized anything Chrysler and or Desoto as the slots are the same.....nothing else really look as good...have you considered dual element bulb in the side marker that is in the headlight bezel and wire them for turn signals.

On my 1938 Dodge, I put dual elements in the rear lights and on the front I installed some reproduction 4.5" amber fog lights and wired them up as the front turn signals.

Edited by 1949 Goat

I rewired my D20 and fitted new headlamps that take H4 halogen bulbs and have inbuilt marker light (sidelights, as we would call them). That left the original marker lights on top of the wings, so I wired both filaments together and put amber lenses in and wired those as front indicators. The rear lights were more involved, but that's a different story...

5 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Are we talking those flip-out turn signal indicators that used to be common in Europe?  I remember a recent photo of a Chrysler that had some sort of light by the rear quarter window.   

..those unit are referred to as trafficators....they are unique for sure...while not installed on my Morris Minor, the dummy plates are there...

Hey Damon,
I have the original white flashers at the front but have supplemented them with small amber flashers bolted to the bottom of the bumper guards.
At the back, I fitted white 'reverse' lights but added amber bulbs. They have the 'right' period look and other cars seem to notice them easily.
Hope this helps.
Robin

PS  I had a look around your car at Colin's place... It's a real beauty!

IMG_0730.JPG

XAS 458 rear.JPG

On 6/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

..those unit are referred to as trafficators....they are unique for sure...while not installed on my Morris Minor, the dummy plates are there...

If they're what I think they are I always heard them referred to as semaphores on VW's.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VFnDxRc_wU

2 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

If they're what I think they are I always heard them referred to as semaphores on VW's.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VFnDxRc_wU

could very well be..this thread originator is located in the UK so I tried to answer in car terms familiar with that part of the world.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LUCAS-SF-80-TRAFFICATORS-SEMAPHORES-12V-Morris-Minor-Austin-etc/223013100219?hash=item33ec9ddabb:g:2P8AAOSwEARbHVn3

Lets see, I own 15 British cars, 4 German cars...one Swedish car...I would think the British ones are standardized for a huge assortment of production cars and interchange thus allowing for the better pricing...I have to admit that in my two years in Germany, I never once saw one of these in operation on any car roaming the streets.   As stated earlier, my car (1954 Morris Minor split window) was for export and thus fitted only with the blanking plates as the device was not intended for world wide operation.   I have however seen a few that are on the cars as imported by a number of service folks returning from the UK and of course, later imports to fill the need the hobby has generated for these LBCs

I don't recall ever seeing any on a VW, either. I've owned a bunch of VW's, a  PV444 and a PV544 Volvo and a couple of Triumph Spitfires, too; but that was a long time ago. I have to admit that I liked the PV 544 Volvo better than the rest although that may have something to do with the time period in which I owned them.

And I was just kidding about German engineering superiority. Although, an engine with no head gaskets? That doesn't come along often.

yes an engine with no gasket but an engine that head and jug should be "lapped" upon assembly.....I have found good and bad in about every car and car maker coming down the pike.  My Volvo is the PV544...a 62 Sport with the B18 and dual SU's....I am very much considering making a 'business coupe' out of it...who needs a back seat when you can have a helluva trunk..!

27 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

yes an engine with no gasket but an engine that head and jug should be "lapped" upon assembly.....I have found good and bad in about every car and car maker coming down the pike.  My Volvo is the PV544...a 62 Sport with the B18 and dual SU's....I am very much considering making a 'business coupe' out of it...who needs a back seat when you can have a helluva trunk..!

Yeah, but lapping a cylinder to a head is cake compared to setting timing on a Triumph motor rebuild. Who doesn't mark gears? But that really isn't that big a deal, either. It was a surprise first time I ran across it but I fingered it out. This cylinder is at TDC, the next one in the firing order is there, cam lobe should be here. Which way does the cam turn? Mark the gears while it still makes sense!

I agree, if you could combine the good points of all motor vehicles you could come as close to perfection as these lumps of metal can be. They all have their idiosyncrasies.

I like the idea of a 544 coupe. It seems like a natural. A back seat isn't as important as it once was. I LOVED station wagons and VW vans in my youth.  ?

Edited by MackTheFinger

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

let me fix you up with a few Spitfires...lol.....got to love Giovanni Michelotti.....they are a timeless design....

My 18 year-old son is just about to collect his first car... a 1967 Triumph Herald
It's another Michelotti classic.
And we've found a beautiful example with only 38K on the clock!

Hi guy's after a lot of looking at the internet and lots of pictures and reading what you have all done to your cars I have decided to go with twin element bulbs in the front side lights and in the rear light thanks for all your comments (can't fit trafficators to a American car that would be so wrong)

Cheers Damon 

On 6/13/2018 at 4:08 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

let me fix you up with a few Spitfires...lol.....got to love Giovanni Michelotti.....they are a timeless design....

I agree, they are beautiful cars. I honestly wouldn't mind having one again. I remember some knuckle dragger asking me once, "Hey, boy!! You drive that car or wear it?" I'm a fairly small guy, a little bigger around than I used to be and about 5'8" so it fit me pretty well.