Electric fuel pump

Patvh

Anyone using aftermarket electric fuel pumps? I dont want to spend the time on the original fuel pump and im curious if i can just put an electric pump on it for now..  ive got a complete 48 d24c and i plan to get everything on the 48 repaired and running,  then swap everything over to my rust free 46.  

Any advice?  Am i overthinking this? 

Search recent threads.  (Searching is an acquired skill that will serve you well.)  Some guys run an electric pump instead of the mechanical pump; some guys use the electric pump as a primer or booster. 

One critical safety point:  An electric pump must shut off if the engine quits running and the ignition is on, as in an accident.   Two ways to do this: 

Inertial safety switch, as in Fords of a few years ago. Bump or roll the car, the pump shuts off.

Oil safety switch, which screws into the side of the engine in place of one of the plugs along the oil gallery.  No oil pressure (engine not running) pump shuts off.     

• Like 1

Maybe there's gas in the float bowl already?  Unless the ethanol evaporated away.  Then it's crank, crank, crank. 

I don't kow how much cranking it takes to work the oil safety switch.  Inquiring minds need to know.  (Let them chime in.) 

In my case, the electric pump is for priming and boosting. 

• Thanks 1

One easy way to use an electric pump with a oil pressure safety shutoff is to have a three position switch mounted under the dash. The best switch to use is a momentary on/ off/ on switch.  Wire the momentary on position so it will bypass the oil pressure switch and the on position to provide power through the oil pressure switch and then to the pump. Use the momentary on to start the engine then switch it over to the on position with the oil pressure switch wired in series with the pump. If there is no oil pressure the fuel pump will shut off.

• Thanks 1

I've got the momentary on-off-on switch setup.  We're re-plowing the same field.  We covered this in a recent thread, but I searched for it and couldn't find it. 

There must be a trick to have it search "oil safety switch" and not hit every post that has the word "switch" in it. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2018 at 2:02 PM, Patvh said:

Anyone using aftermarket electric fuel pumps? I dont want to spend the time on the original fuel pump and im curious if i can just put an electric pump on it for now..  ive got a complete 48 d24c and i plan to get everything on the 48 repaired and running,  then swap everything over to my rust free 46.  

Any advice?  Am i overthinking this? 

Last weekend I was at a opened house at a HotRod shop and I spoke to then about adding a electric fuel pump to the "new" Airtex manual pump that can't keep up.  The person working there thought that I should be able to add a electric pump to my car.  I think I installed everything right, but now it idles worst and I haven't been able to work  on the car since Thursday.

Does your mechanical pump work? concider a rebuild.https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-Plymouth-Desoto-Dodge-Chrysler-NEW-fuel-pump-REBUILDING-KIT/173236994983?hash=item2855bac3a7:g:ysYAAOSwWcRa330t

Check out this video for the basics of installing a electric pump.

Edited by 48ply1stcar
misspelling?

I use a 6volt one as a primer pump, I have been using it for a few years now and it has been very useful for quick and easy starts. I have a rocker switch under the dash and hold it for 5-10 seconds to get fuel up to the sometimes dry carb. caused by a hot Summer`s day or from a period of not using the car, my starter is very grateful for this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8011

Edited by linus6948

which electric FP did you install?  It should be pushing at a rate of 3-5 punds and this should be adequate to keep the car running at idle and also when running down the road at normal highway speeds.  If it is not running smooth at idle then i think you have another issue with either the fuel line or carburation. Have you chnaged the rubber line going to the old mechanicl fp do you have a filter on the fule line and is is possibly clogged.  I would install a plastic see thru filter and runt he car in you driveway to see if you are getting any sediment inthe filter. This is an indication that the line has crap in it or the fule tank needs to be cleaned.

I have a AC588 FP on my 39 desoto and I have good idle and highway speeds and have the airtext electric pump as a backup.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

which electric FP did you install?  It should be pushing at a rate of 3-5 punds and this should be adequate to keep the car running at idle and also when running down the road at normal highway speeds.  If it is not running smooth at idle then i think you have another issue with either the fuel line or carburation. Have you chnaged the rubber line going to the old mechanicl fp do you have a filter on the fule line and is is possibly clogged.  I would install a plastic see thru filter and runt he car in you driveway to see if you are getting any sediment inthe filter. This is an indication that the line has crap in it or the fule tank needs to be cleaned.

I have a AC588 FP on my 39 desoto and I have good idle and highway speeds and have the airtext electric pump as a backup.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

This past month I have shared the issues I have had with my Airtex manual FP.  This past week I added a Carter P4259 Electric FP.  I mounted the electric pump in front of the rear spring with a filter before it. Additionally, I added a "oil pressure switch" which works properly, in which  I am thrilled, I also added another clear plastic fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator just before the carburetor.  I added a on/off switch in line from the ignition to the "oil pressure switch", thought it was picture perfect.  Ran rough, fuel filter at the carb was not full and when I disconnected the filter from the input side the fuel was under pressure and gushed out.

So I think now I have too much combined fuel pump pressure. 

Before installing the electric pump the car started, idled fine and ran until the end of 2nd gear or 50 MPH in third gear.  mechanical pump only delivered 4 ounces of fuel during a fuel volume test.  That's why I added the electric pump.

I think I'll have to use the mechanical pump until I reach highway speed then turn on the electric pump.  Also considering a parallel fuel line around the electric pump that might aid the mechanical pump when the electric pump is off.

All of this may be fix when I rebuild my AC588 FP.  I never had a fuel delivery issue until I installed my rebuilt motor and retired the AC588, for the new Airtex 73201.

Edited by 48ply1stcar
clarity