Engine stalls and misfires

Kai-by-Vecona

Some days ago I drove a while with the pedal to the floor... so about two minutes. After that, the engine misfires when I go downhill and stalls when I stop. Before that, everything runs fine. I already chekcked the automatic choke but it works properly. Now I think maybe some holes in the carburator maybe stuck with something so the engine gets to much fuel. When I brake with the lieft foot and step a little bit on the gas it also runs fine.

Is that a common problem with teh carburator or should I try to dissamble and clean it? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Kai

Sounds like when you floored it you sucked some debris into the carb. It settled in the idle circuit. Just pull the carb and clean it then blow out the passages with compressed air and it should work. Also check your fuel filters for sediment and debris.

Joe

Yep fuel filter or may have picked up some trash in the fuel pickup in the gas tank since going downhill is causing problems. 

When you have the carb top off as joe suggests check your float, inlet needle and seat to. 

Hello Joe hello Lloyd,

thanks for your help. I hoped I could avoid opening the carb because it destroys always the main gasket and I didn't find anyone who only sells the main gasket. Always find complet overhaul kits... Or does anybody know anyone? I would buy a 10-pack if I could :-)

I let you know if it worked. Try it tomorrow and maybe I'm lucky with the gasket.

Thanks again

Kai

Have you tried another condenser in the distributor ?  You would be surprised to find how a faulty condenser mimics fuel problems.

18 hours ago, Kai-by-Vecona said:

Hello Joe hello Lloyd,

thanks for your help. I hoped I could avoid opening the carb because it destroys always the main gasket and I didn't find anyone who only sells the main gasket. Always find complet overhaul kits... Or does anybody know anyone? I would buy a 10-pack if I could ?

I let you know if it worked. Try it tomorrow and maybe I'm lucky with the gasket.

Thanks again

Kai

Hey Kai, no worry ...

... if you open the carb really carefully it is possible to remove the gasket without damaging it.

Lift off the cover just a bit in case a piece of the gasket sticks to the cover and another piece to the carb body. Then loosen the gasket carefully. Eventually use a sharp knife.

Should work, have done this several times. And no trouble when I reused it.

Should it nevertheless get damaged, you could cut a new one out of an universal gasket material. These are available at most automotive stores as a set. Roughly DIN A4 size. Elring Klinger for example.

If you shouldn`t get one you could use a Tetra Pack cardboard (Milchverpackung, Orangensaftpackung oder sowas in der Art). Ideally those with aluminum coating. If the coat is of plastic, remove that. This is not compatible with fuel. I used that just to carburetors as an emergency repair. Lasted much longer than ever expected.

Hope this helps ?

Regards from the South, Jan

Probably running with the fuel bowl over full.....trash in the needle blocking it open.  Start it, rev it and give the joint where the fuel line enters the fuel bowl of the carb a few healthy wacks with a screwdriver handle.  If its trash, you'll knock it loose, the needle will open and close properly and you can then clean out the tank, lines and change the fuel filter.

Ok... Problem solved. I checked the distributor but it was ok so I decided to disassemble the carburator. I did like Jan said and helped with a knife. The gasket is broken but I tried to use it again and there's nothing leaking.... lucky me :-)

I changed the gas filter and cut the old one but it doesn't look dirty but when I opend the carburator inside the float chamber was lot's of dirt. I cleaned everything and blow all the holes and valves with air and now it's running fine again.

My suspect is the littel piston inside the float chamber for the Fluid Drive. There's no real sealing around it and I guess that there's enough gap that dirt comes into the chamber with the time. Time will show...

Hey Jan, good idea with the tetrapack ... I will try that. Was at the Motorworld Classics two weeks ago. If I had knowen that you live in Friedrichshafen we could have met. Maybe next year and thanks to you and everybody for the help

Kai

As a matter of interest , referring to barrel type metal in- line fuel filters. I removed one from a vehicle I was working on, when I shook it kinda rattled- like a PCV valve. I cut it open and found  the internal  filter had become dislodged from the outlet end - the glue had let loose, obviously the filter was useless and wouldn't serve it's purpose , (It was labelled Made in China). I replaced it with a NAPA 3032 fuel filter that looks pretty much the same  but is labelled as Made in USA. We'll see how this one lasts. Ethanol in the fuel may have been a factor in the failure or this part.

Edited by T120

The one I used was Made in Germany and it was ok :-) I'm also not a friend of cheap produced parts. There's more worry then fun with them.

Before I installed the last gasket I put it on my scanner. I will vectorize it and give it to a friend who ist specialized in laser cutting of paper. Maybe he can make me a hand full of them. I have the feeling, I have to open the carb more often as I wish :-)

Kai