aftermarket radio and speaker installation

bluefoxamazone

I had a couple of spare dash grille pieces so I gently cut one to suit the radio/CD player, as it has some chrome bits and is a light colour it sort of blends into the overall dash ......andyd 

P1010404.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hi!

I recently bought a bluetooth module that I can hook up with the cell phone (and spotify for expl).

does anybody got a good reference on a good speaker that would fit in the original spot in the dash? And do I have to insulate this speaker from the ground since the car is still original 6v pos. grd.?

The 12 Volt supply is coming from a 6 to 12 volt converter... 

thanks and happy holidays!!!

On 12/22/2021 at 7:04 AM, bluefoxamazone said:

does the size 6 X 10 inch make sense for the speaker?

My 50 Spexial Deluxe speaker is a 5x7.  I am installing it now but I need to cut some of the metal to make it fit. I ordered this one (https://www.amazon.com/RetroSound-D-572-Replacement-Speaker-Vehicles/dp/B00VWH3LT2/ref=mp_s_a_1_43?crid=29Q0MSFS9QIF0&keywords=custom+classic+car+speaker+5x7&qid=1640309095&sprefix=custom+classic+car+speaker+5x7%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-43/ ).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, Bob Riding said:

In my 1940 wagon, it is round. Not sure of the exact dimensions. I can measure if you need them.

Thanks for offering Bob but my dash is different. I might end up building two speakers into the front seat like someone suggested... grtz

On 10/12/2019 at 7:49 AM, Eneto-55 said:

When I bought my P15 in 1980, AM only was still a fairly decent option. but now it's pretty much just talk shows and maybe a bit of sports.  So I'm wondering if anyone has ever looked into converting the original radio to short-wave?

What is nice is a radio with a USB stick connector on the front. You can fill it up with your music at home and play it on the road. Also with Bluetooth, you can connect a mobile device and play music from it. 

1 hour ago, bluefoxamazone said:

I have Spotify on my cell phone. I will connect it via bluetooth to an amplifier. Just need to install a speaker somewhere...

Bass speakers are non directional.. any enclosed speaker box under the front dash on the firewall pointing down would do.  Would not need an opening in the front. You could probably mount very small high frequency/midrange speakers near the bottom lip of the dash pointing down but on the left and right sides.

Something like these or smaller attached to the firewall just low enough where sound is directed towards each person's lap but not so low that you can see them getting in or sitting in the car.  https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-AVA6200-Enclosed-Speaker/dp/B0002VMV2M/ref=asc_df_B0002VMV2M?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80333120120475&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932709071868&th=1