P15 dash headlight switch 910507 vs 990547

3046moparcoupe

I currently have 2ea of the Mopar # 990547 head light switches I picked up off ebay over the last few years, both are clean (I've been inside them and have cleaned the contacts and greased them with electrical grease). However today, I noticed in my P15 OEM parts book, that the car was shown to come with a Mopar # 910507 headlight switch. Switches look to be very similar, with the same terminal designations, H - R - A & D....a lot of the info on the internet seems to show both switches being used on all the Chrysler, Plymouths and Didges,...however - I have found listings that make be believe that the 910507 was for the Plymouth, and the 990547 was for the Dodge and Chrysler.

I've attached a picture of both headlight switches to this post, I believe the 990547 is 1/2 longer in length (probably not an issue), but here's what I was hoping to ask and learn from my fellow P15 forum members.

1): The 910507 switch, listed in the parts manual for the P15's, looks to have an on-board fuse holder. Being cylinder shaped I'm guessing it uses the older style buss fuses ? Can anyone out there help me out with this, is it truly a fuse holder ? does it use the old round style buss fuses, like I remember from my first cars in the 60's ?  and if so - what amp fuse does it take ?  

2): The 990547 switch, (of which I currently have 2ea in my possession) doesn't have anything that looks like a fuse holder, it appears to have ( I'm gonna guess out loud here ) a circuit breaker type protection setup, that utilizes a set of point contacts for the make break contact, where the main battery input comes into the switch,.....I might as well stop there, in regards to describing the points setup, as anyone is gonna either be familiar with this switch setup or not....

I have not attempted any kind of cleaning or filing on the points on either of these switches I currently have, and the way they are tucked into the rear housing of the switch, there's not much of a way to get a look at the contact surfaces...

I like the idea of going with the switch that is shown in the P15 manual, (the 910507), I suppose I like the idea of a fuse rather than a set of points I am un-sure about...however, I'm thinking that fuse might be a little hard to get to if and when it might become an issue and blow:), course way better than the alternative - any day of the week....

aside from all this, I have picked up (here on the forum) on the wisdom of using an external relay under the hood to power the headlights, and just use your dash headlight switch to operate the relay,....thereby not bringing all those amps into the dash area.....

But I would really appreciate any and all feedback regarding both switches,.....points versus what looks like a fuse setup....as its time to make a decision on whether to go with one of the existing switches I currently have or pick up a 910507, as shown in my parts book. At this point, I'll spend the money to get another switich, if I'm gonna feel better down the road about it...that's most important for my head against the old pillow at night. :)

Thank you senior forum members, I have learned so much on this forum,..and I am truly thankful.

Steve

910507.jpg

990547.jpg

you are correct. the p15 uses I believe a 30amp fuse. they are a little bit of an oddball fuse being longer than a normal 30. However when I had an issue in Detroit and was popping them like PEZ I was able to find them in stock at a local parts store. They point down and it is very easy to reach behind the control panel and change one out. 

• Thanks 1

the top switch is just like the same unit that I have in my 1939 Desoto and yes the round long metal holder at the rear right corner is a fuse holder built into the switch.

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1