53 Fuel Tank Fittings

Klinestine

The PO on my 53 Cranbrook had some jerry rigged gas tank put on the car that didn't really fit right and had clearly been cut and welded. It also used an different style sending unit with the fuel being pulled from there. 

I was able to buy one of the repo tanks for it from BernBaum. I've got a new gauge unit and hose and everything incoming. But the new tank appears to have a threaded connection in the bottom corner for the fuel pickup. Is there a specific fitting that i should be using there, or is any barbed male end threaded fitting i can find at like autozone acceptable? Just trying to figure out how may things may be original and how many are replaced. 

16 minutes ago, Klinestine said:

The PO on my 53 Cranbrook had some jerry rigged gas tank put on the car that didn't really fit right and had clearly been cut and welded. It also used an different style sending unit with the fuel being pulled from there. 

I was able to buy one of the repo tanks for it from BernBaum. I've got a new gauge unit and hose and everything incoming. But the new tank appears to have a threaded connection in the bottom corner for the fuel pickup. Is there a specific fitting that i should be using there, or is any barbed male end threaded fitting i can find at like autozone acceptable? Just trying to figure out how may things may be original and how many are replaced. 

The person to ask is Bernbaum. Anybody else is just guessing.

Just had this issue with my '51 Dodge. The fuel line does not end with a regular double flare. It is much flatter than a double flare. Some debate if there is a small copper fitting between the line and tank. Also, there is a different attachment on the end of the line different than one for a regular double flare line. Same fitting can be found where the two lines are joined along the side of the frame. The whole setup is different and more awkward than cars before '49 where you had the double flare and brass ferrule. dpollo was a big help to me with this issue. With his help I ended gas leaking where the pipe meets tank.

It's possible repro tanks are different.

C

Edited by RobertKB

Probably this... though on a replacement tank who knows.

1950 Chrysler Tank Fuel line Fitting.JPG

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Probably this... though on a replacement tank who knows.

1950 Chrysler Tank Fuel line Fitting.JPG

Bernbaum,who he bought it from knows,and has any fitting he made need to make his tank work.

He (Mike@ Bernbaums) probably bought that tank from Mike Warshaw who had the 1953/54 tanks made.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I just pulled this fuel line and fitting out of a 53 Savoy Plymouth tank... it crushes against the inner inverted flare pickup tube.

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

1953 Plymouth Savoy Fuel tank Fitting.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

14 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I just pulled this fuel line and fitting out of a 53 Savoy Plymouth tank... it crushes against the inner inverted flare pickup tube.

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

1953 Plymouth Savoy Fuel tank Fitting.JPG

That's what I was trying to describe earlier. However, a picture is worth a thousand words!

U

Edited by RobertKB

when I was Ebay the other day i saw a listing for the  crush ferrel that you are talking about and i think Mike W is the person that is selling these for the gas lines. go an find one of his listing undr vintagexxxx and then send him a message.

Could you have take the tank to a good gas tank repair and have then soder in a fitting that has a flared end and then make a short piece so that you can use a flared fitting which is more accessable at any good parts house.  So cut you line put in a double flare fitting and then add the new section with a double flair witht he appropriate flared nut and you have solved the entire issue.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

The fitting on the fuel line pictured in post #4 looks like it would be a correct fitting. The fuel line fitting in post #8 looks like an improper match, sort of like a distorted bubble flare.IMHO  

Post # 8 is a factory fitting and fuel line... came out of a 53 Plymouth wagon I owned and the fuel line was as factory.

Post # 4 is the same line and fitting but with the special copper sealing washer that came out of one of my 1950 Chrysler 8 cylinder cars. 

• Like 1

Also, since the tank fitting is not threaded all the way to the seat,  you will need to reuse or find a nut with a shoulder on it like in post #4. Without this feature, there is nothing bearing against the flared line so the line can not be tightened.

i recently changed my tank and lines, as above stated i tried double flare it leaked.i located barbed fitting that fit threads from oreillys used short piece of rubber fuel line /clamps worked fine and no leaks

I put the tank in over the weekend. It looks like it would take a fitting just like the two in the photos above. The original line was cut, and a new one was installed that is wider and routed differently, so I will have to use some rubber hose to rig everything together. 

I called over to  Bernbaums last week, but that guy said they did not sell that fitting. Think autozone et all would have something similar, or do i gotta start calling the junk yards? @50net, you mentioned something about a fitting that does work?

Sorry couldnt find package. Take your threaded end,to oreillys they have a bend behind counter with different barbed fittings.(they let me)match diameter and place threads together correct ones should go into each course. I put a flare on steel line ,slipped rubber hose over it .used 2 small clamps just in case.use tread sealant on barb fitting.i used yellow gas tape on mine no leaks

Edited by 50net

Klinestine.i reread posting,so the original fitting wont thread into new tank? Try to make a impression of opening with paper that'll give you idea of o.d. for fitting to match. as for as thread pick up different ones to see if screws in easy can always return others.i know mine was not a standard size

Edited by 50net