Overdrive cable bracket....

laynrubber

I am needing a picture of the bracket for the OD push pull cable at the lever end. If someone could snap a quick pic. I went through the search going back to 2008...lots of overwhelming information and questions about the cable but nothing on how it mounts to the overdrive unit. I have an idea but why reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

John,  your wiring looks different from what I did.  It seems that you are running a wire from where? to your governor.  I am running the ground for the relay through the lockout.  So what do your wires through the lock out connect to?? Are you running power through the lockout?

• 2 weeks later...

Been out of town.  The two wires for the lock out just allow current to flow thru the relay to engage the the solenoid when the governor reaches 35 mph or goes below 35 mph. The governor acts as the grounding side of the relay to close the contacts in the relay to send battery voltage to the solenoid and engage the relay. I don't have the ignition shut off circuit wired for passing or switch off the carb for wide open throttle.  The system is simple but I've seen many different wiring diagrams that were much more involved. If you didn't want to run the manual cable cut off switch you could wire it just like a horn. The governor being the horn button and relay wired from battery and the other wire to the solenoid in the trans. Car reaches 35 mph governor grounds relay allowing relay to close contacts allowing battery voltage to flow to solenoid and overdrive engagement . 3 wires. Done it on several overdrive units. They all work basically the same. My wagon works slick. Any time I'm over 35 mph I just release the throttle momentary and it engages or keeping slight throttle pressure until I reach desired speed and then allow engagement .  Just got back from the hot rod power tour 2000 miles worked perfectly

Thanks for the reply.  I wired mine so the " ith" relay terminal connects to the lockout, then through the switch to the governor so no real voltage load through that switch.  I am powering the ign terminal of the relay through a fused and switched line I picked up from the feed to the CIG lighter which is hot with ign on. Since I never use the lighter the control side of the relay is the only load on that circuit.  Guess it is the same but mine is only passing grounding voltage and minimum amperage through the lock out switch.  How long has yours been operating wired as you have it?

What does your od do for fuel milage on the road?  I have heard that the suburbans have only a 12 gallon tank instead of 17 like the other body styles.   Usually figure 250 miles per tank ( my gas gauge doesn't work) so we drive by the odo between gas stops.  

Question for John Edge.

So as yours is wired anytime the your speed is high enough for the governor to give a ground to the relay the OD solenoid is trying to engage the Overdrive which only happens when you let off the gas for a second or two??  And if you do not let off to say 40mph. across  town,but no faster.?

Has been a question of mine for while.

Mainly if a damage would happen say if you are in town over the governor cut in speed but still not fast enough to warrant the OD to be in but you did not think about  just turning off the OD engagement say via a switch?

Thanks,

DJ

I don't envision using mine in around town mode.  Out in the country on the state highway or on limited access highways is when I see using it. There is talk in the manual of staying in second gear for around town duty using first, second, and second od, leaving 3rd and 3 rd od for the highway.