displacement of a C-54 motor

Tim Keith

I didn't find C-54 in this list.  Does anyone know what it might be ?

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/cengines.html

as an added note, the 51 year started with body number 7736501 and the 52 year started with 7753601 as seen on the front left door pillar, again, source is my Motors Manual 

note number two from looking deeper in the book shows a C54 six cylinder designation for 1954 and would be the 265 cu in.....I find it interesting that the C54 designation existed for two distinct different series car / engine lineup   

as your original question did not specify V8 or L6....nor does your profile show any car of either years mentioned in the Motors Manual, could you tell us just what style engine you have.....I am a bit concerned now if my data book is on track as it contradicts itself on car model listing by C54 and engine model listings C54-XXXXXX where they state the C54 is 1954 L6 and the C54-8-XXXXXX where the -8- would be the V8....This information is the same in two different editions of Motors Manuals I have on hand.   The real answer will be in your reply as to what engine you have.  The engine number in the 51/52 will be C51-XXXXXX for the L6 and C51-8-XXXXXX for the V8.  So is the C54 off the body tag or the engine tag?

Its an inline six.  I was told it has 4 3/4 stroke and is a 265.  It has a "Spitfire" scripted cylinder head and a Stromberg carburetor

The  deck on the drivers side of the block is stamped C54-20443. I am wanting to use it in my '47 Dodge 1/2 ton.  The cylinders look clean but I will check it.  The piston rings are broken.

Tim

I got this engine SN in my 1953 C60-2 Chrysler. 265 CI. My 265 is listed at 3 7/16 bore,  4 3/4" stroke.

Not sure if that helps or makes this more confusing.

Pl87vOABNFZ3lMEyomEG1_dDeV-hSWglHX1lXU9x

My Motors manual reads that a C54 car is a 1951 and 1952 Imperial with a V8. A C54 engine sn? Makes sense that it would be a 265 to me. Why did they share engineering car codes with engine codes, I have no idea.

Edited by keithb7

Chrysler had been using car codes as engine codes from the beginning in 1924, and right through 1957, with the exception of U.S.-built 1951-1958 Chryslers and Imperials.  

For these models and years the engine code was the model year with '-8" for 8 cylinder, 1951-1954.  That was replaced by a letter for the series (WE - Windsor, LE - Saratoga, NE - New Yorker, 3NE - 300, CE - Imperial) followed by the model year  for 1955-1957.  For 1958 U.S. Chrysler engine numbers were 58W, 58S, 58N, 58N3, and 58C. 

From 1959 the new corporate engine number system was used.

I bought it home.  I'll take it to a machine shop and have them tell me the bore size and what it needs.

The motor didn't come with a flywheel.    Is the flywheel the same as a 251 ?

It does have a flywheel, the one that was used with the 2-speed semi-automatic.   The donor car didn't have a Power-Flite.    Was the semi automatic still used in 1954?  The 265 motor came with a transmission.

Included is a Fluid-Drive unit,  plus a regular flywheel, plus a manual 3 speed truck transmission and a semi-auto transmission.  Seller said the manual transmission is for a 1937 truck.  I plan to use one of George Asche's 833 o/d adapters

The motor had fully grooved main bearings.   Was this stock ?

Edited by Tim Keith