P18 Plymouth 1949 carb alternative in Europe

Thomba48

Guess what - after all changes necessary - I now have to realise that my carb needs refurbishment or ideally replacement. The throttle base with the flaps (so I would describe it) is loose. Hence the carb breathes wrong air at the wrong time. As everything else - yes this car purchase was a mistake ? - on the carb front looks very used and run down I would rather opt towards a replacement.

Now the following questions?

Any resources known to you where I can  purchase this item in Europe, preferably Germany? Simply for time and cost reasons. I actually haven't found one.

Any idea if I could even use a more modern replacement that I can easily source here in Europe? Important, I do not want to change any set-ups right now. My 49 obviously has the electric joke mechanism. Still 6 Volt positive ground.

Any recommendations to where to find a well-priced one in the US?

thanks/ thom

Edited by Thomba48

You could find a source in Europe that restores WW-2  US military vehicles. The 3/4 ton trucks used a flat 6 Mopar engine,and the carb for one of them would bolt right on and work properly,but it's not likely to have an electric choke. You would have to take the electric choke from your present carb and put it on the new one.

For some odd reason I seem to remember there was/is  tons of that stuff in Turkey.

An alternative might be to buy a good throttle body and a carb kit,and just mount it to the existing carb.

Go to this page and send some emails is probably the easiest solution to your problems. It is from this site and lists vendors with Mopar parts for sale.

http://p15-d24.com/links/category/11-enginemechanicalnos-parts/

Edited by knuckleharley

whatever happened to the guy in Turkey??? that was selling ton of NOS parts presumably left over military stuff...seems he would be ideal place to order/purchase parts...

second option...if you  or a bud has some fabrications skill to fabricate an adapter, a Weber IDF deuce or even a copy/Dellareto(sp) may be a good option....

• Thanks 1

Thomba, have you thought about looking for some sort of carby from say an early 60's Mecedes, also I'd check around for any large Solex or similar, maybe even something from the UK such as Vauxhall, Bedford, Ford Transit, etc.......personally I would think the electric or automatic choke would be the least of my concerns as a manual choke should be easily setup using an after market choke cable, just mount it inconspicuously under the dash..........I'd make a list of what cars have been sold in Europe over the past 50yrs or so with a capacity of around 3-3.5 litres and go from there, irrespective whether they have a single or 2 barrel throat the find an adaptor to suit.......or just bite the bullet and get a rebuilt carby from the USA.................regards, andyd      

• Thanks 1

I would rather not use the original carburetor, but find a suitable replacement from 70s-80s. Replacement carb should be from a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder 2.4 - 3L engine. These newer carbs are much advanced compared to those primitive Carters. They do better fuel metering at different engine regimes, and provide better acceleration, better fuel economy, and more engine power. Of course adapters and throttle linkage must be fabricated, but it really worth the trouble. 

when you say electric choke i assume you are talking about what is called a Sisson choke that is mounted on the top of the intake manifold. This is a choke tht is controled by an electric wire that then makes the bimetal plate move according to the temperature of the manifold.

Since you have a plymouth the choke body would be directly in front of the carb when looking from the radiator to the back of the engine bay. You will need a carb that has the same choke mechanism to move the butterfly when the choke is engaged.

I would think that any Ball and Ball carb throttle base should work and bolt up directly to your old carb.  go to some swap meets if any around and look for some old Ball and Ball carb. they should be cheap and or take your bottom piece with you to match the base.

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

the correct carter b&b carb for 1949-50 Plymouth is a  D6H1 carb so in you search look for this carb at any swap meets and the part that you are looking for should fit.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sser2 said:

I would rather not use the original carburetor, but find a suitable replacement from 70s-80s. Replacement carb should be from a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder 2.4 - 3L engine. These newer carbs are much advanced compared to those primitive Carters. They do better fuel metering at different engine regimes, and provide better acceleration, better fuel economy, and more engine power. Of course adapters and throttle linkage must be fabricated, but it really worth the trouble. 

Why even use the "primitive" flathead then? Just throw a way better, more advanced 70s or 80s engine in it. Nothing wrong with the Carter carbs, half the fun of owning these old cars is fixing what is there. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

too bad  you don't have an intake for these...just got these dropped off at my place today, set of 40mm Weber DCOE's

weber dcoe.jpgI know in the end it is not about looks. But yours just look greeeeeaaat ?

20 hours ago, allbizz49 said:

Why even use the "primitive" flathead then? Just throw a way better, more advanced 70s or 80s engine in it. Nothing wrong with the Carter carbs, half the fun of owning these old cars is fixing what is there. 

Of course it is a matter of choice. Some folks will not even use a bolt without DPCD stamped on it. Others keep only body shell, stuff it with everything modern, and paint it in candy color.

Flat six can perform to modern standards with increased compression, better carb, and modern ignition. I do not mean racing, just normal driving.

There are companies restoring carbs in Europe, I heard about somebody in Gdańsk who does great job. I think that's the best solution.

Using european carb could be hard, because 3.6 liter engine here was rather ultra - luxurious and often used two carbs or some kind of injection.

However, the Mopar Flathead was copied in Soviet Union and used in truck "GAZ 51". K22 carburetor would probably be plug and play.

Also, this engine was shortened to four cylinders and manufactured till mid 90s, the latest ones used "Weber" from Fiat 125p. Look for "Żuk Weber".

Also, the carburetors from Volga or UAZ (K-126, K-129) would be cheap and simple to buy and probably easy to install. But they are not much modern than original one, I think. They should be common in Germany, as whole DDR army used soviet - designed automobiles

Edited by Jakub
  • Thanks 1

looked in one of my carb books and the 1949-54 Plymouth with standard trans used the D6H1-2 car. So if you can find any carb listed that fits this range the parts should fit. Hope this helps you solve your issue.

Rich Hartung

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Thomba48 said:

And I have spotted a d6u1 carb for a 1953 Plymouth. Apparently suited for an overdrive car. Would that actually make sense? Any downs? Any pros? thanks

have you found this in Europe? If so and you don't want it... i am interested... :-)

grtz

2 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

have you found this in Europe? If so and you don't want it... i am interested... ?

grtz

Sorry. No, I have not found it in Europe. There simply is nothing to be found. I actually did find 2 or 3 players that could work on the carb, but they happen to have a 3 months lead time ?

The carb I found in the US for a reasonable price point, it looks good from what I can tell and being a 1953 it might even make sense given that I shall install an overdrive transmission.

• Thanks 1