Flywheel troubles 265ci 1940 chrysler

Ajgkirkwood

The ghost of the previous owner came to get me. This weekend my flywheel bit the dust. Sunday was a memorial poker run in his honor and in classis him the car broke down. I still had the car there. Had to bump start it each time (first time the previous owner had it at the cruise night that held the poker run, it had to be pushed and bump started by the club members, kinda funny how those memories and actions happen)

Anywho i think ill be in search of a flywheel. I saw on andys parts a ring gear replacement? 

Because of this im thinking i might aswell do a light rebuild on the motor. I like to look at new pistions and bore the cylinders if they arent clean. Anyone know of forged pistions ? :)

on summit racing site and rock auto they have position but not 100% sure on them. On summit they have different pistions that come up for my motor but its 3 ring and the section above the piston pin looks too short?

Custom forged pistons can be made fairly easily these days.  Talk to your machine shop about that option. They aren’t cheap though, so be prepared. 

Try Egge  for pistons.  If the ring gear has worn teeth on one side but are decent on the back side, a machine shop can remove and flip it.  If there are teeth missing, some shops will build up the damaged with weld and remachine the teeth.  Also you might try Terrell Machine for replacement pistons and rings.  Vintage Power wagons also.

Edited by greg g

Why do you want to spend all that money for forged pistons in a low rpm/low stress engine?

• Like 2

Well i like to do some hopping up to the motor. Fromt what i understand the teeth on the flywheel was already flipped. The motor being from a 54 Chrysler windsor, i think it was a fluid drive but they made it work on the 1940 3 speed

45 minutes ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

Well i like to do some hopping up to the motor. Fromt what i understand the teeth on the flywheel was already flipped. The motor being from a 54 Chrysler windsor, i think it was a fluid drive but they made it work on the 1940 3 speed

Unless it is an all-out race engine,it will still be a low-stress/low-rpm engine. Flatheads just don't turn up enough RPM's to require forged pistons unless you are running nitro or alcohol for fuel,or maybe supercharging/turbocharging it.

Yeah,it won't hurt anything to use them as long as you fit them properly,but it's spending unnecessary money on a street engine.

Unfortunately to change a starter ring gear requires removal of the transmission and flywheel to replace it.

Easily removed with just a hammer and a punch. Installation is accomplished by heating  the new gear just enough to fit . I have used a acetylene torch with a medium tip until it will just drop back in place and allowed to cool.

I believe I have read others have used the oven set on highest temperature avail. and it worked?  If that does work, (hope other will chime in on this) I would diffidently clean any oils off it first and do it while the wife is gone from home for some time!  ?

These ring gears are available at oldmoparts.com for $ 60 + shipping.

Trying to attach their page from a screen shot.

DJ

Screenshot (3) ring gear .png