What is HFOP in AACA Classes? Is It a Big Deal?

rallyace

I was in my first local AACA show today and received a trophy for HPOF. What is this all about? Is it a big deal? I was told that my car could no longer be judged in any AACA show because of it. Anyone know for sure what this is all about? I could not find any of the judges after the show to find out what it meant.  Thanks, Mike

your car was judged to be Historical Presevation of Original Features. Baiscally the car is unrestored.. So the question is did you enter it in this class at the show or did they just put you in this class.  You will recieve a brass badge to put on the car. And yes you can now only have the car judged as an HPOF car and must stay in that class.  If you decided to resote the car then you wil lhave to give the badge back to the AACA.  This is a newer class that they want to have cars that are as original as possible at car shows to show what the cars looked like instead of being fully resoted. My 39 desoto is an HPOF badged car.  welcome to the class and now just enjoy the car and drive it.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I went to a AACA regional meet in Buffalo a couple years ago,  There were about 15 cars in the 

HPOF category.  There was a separate group of judges going over these vehicles. They were awarded hpof certificates, not trophies.  Not sure that local regions can award the certificates of originality which leads to the plaque and the restriction from junior or senior class awards.  Further other clubs sponsoring their own shows probably don't care a bit about  the AACA paper work.  I have seen clubs that have something on their registrations that says National prize winning cars are for display and will not be judged along with local cars, or they put them all in a separate class. Were any other cars given the same trophies?

I am all for restoring vintage cars of all makes back to original as possible, as for example the cars done by Robert KB and Casper. I personally think that these vintage should be driven and truly enjoyed for their style and comfort. If some owners find enjoyment in entering their car in shows where tiny infractions cause them to be penalized and therefore not win first place trophies, that is most certainly their choice but I also think that this could create stress and disappointment. I say keep your classic safe and roadworthy, treat it with respect and enjoy it to the fullest. In the long run you won't regret it. My opinion of course for what it's worth.?

• Like 1

Five years ago I entered a car show in Washington, NC sponsored by the local AACA chapter.  When I registered for the show they asked me what class I was entering.  Never having entered an AACA show before, I had no idea.  The registrar started thumbing through a rule book and after a minute decided that the class for my car included 1946 to 1948 American made cars, NOT FORD.  It was a small show and mine was the only car in that class.  ... So,  now I have an AACA First Place winner and I am retired from AACA competition!

C681852D-CFC1-47EF-87D0-35EBB3903777.jpeg

Edited by busycoupe

Let me explain the AACA juding process:

First you must be a member of the AACA to show at one of the major regiaonl Shows such as Hershey inthe fall.

You are placed in a year period clasification such as 1938-39 Class 20E which my 39 Desoto would be intaht class with allmakes and models.

So you have just done a full 100percent ground up resotation.

This is you first AACA car show.

The best that you can win is a First Junior not a Senior.  As getting your first Junior then at the next national event then you can go up against the big biys to qualify for a 1st Senior tropy and brass tag.

There specific number of points that you need to meet to qualify for each class and there is a 15 point spread.

So here is an example. the points that I am listing is not the official point spread but an example to understand the AACA judging,

Senior 1 st must score between 375 with a 15 point spred so the lowest score would be a car with 360 points out of 400. the 15 point spread downward.

But here is the caveat.  If a car in you  classification scores 395 which is the highest in your group then the 15 point downard spread is a car that has a score of 380 but if you had 379 you would not be awarded a senior award even though the car was in the initial spread. The highest scoring car in your class set the benchmark and then you go down the 15 points spread.

After you have been a Senior 1 winner then you can compete at the Grand National Level and the point spread is even tighter.

The judges are made up of a team with the Senior judge assigned to ask question of the owner.  You as the owner are present when the car is judges. it is your reposibility to provide proof of any feature that might be on the car.  Also note that a car with a lot of options installed can hurt you becasue there is more room to find deductions versus a p[lain Jane car becasue of the lack of options and point deductions.

The judges can not sit in your car they can open the door to look inside then can only get down on one knee to look at the under carraige and can not crawl under the car..

So if you won an HPOF award then you must stay in this class to be judged against to get preservation awards.  If you dedcide to go for a 1,2,3 Junior then you have to return the HPOF bade back to AACA headquater and then you start the whole process over again.

So you have a 1st Senior awarded car done in 2010.  You sell the car to a new owner officially then the Senior badge needs to be returned back to AACA and you as the new owner then have to restart the judging process as the new owner and requalify throught the normal process.

Hope this helps you understand the basics of AACA judging.  If you are going to go throught AACa point judging then get a copy of their judging manaul to fully understand the entire process.

This is justa quick overview of AACA judging.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks, Rich. They have obviously over complicated a simple process. Do these guys work for the government in their day jobs? I entered a class which was for cars of my age and ended up with a regional award in a class that I did not know existed.  Live and learn.

On 6/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, busycoupe said:

Five years ago I entered a car show in Washington, NC sponsored by the local AACA chapter.  When I registered for the show they asked me what class I was entering.  Never having entered an AACA show before, I had no idea.  The registrar started thumbing through a rule book and after a minute decided that the class for my car included 1946 to 1948 American made cars, NOT FORD.  It was a small show and mine was the only car in that class.  ... So,  now I have an AACA First Place winner and I am retired from AACA competition!

C681852D-CFC1-47EF-87D0-35EBB3903777.jpeg

Ok so lets qualify your 1st place trophy. This was a local AACA affiliated club that held a local show.  You won a 1st place at their show but the show was probably not a sanctioned AACA national car show.  To host a nataioanl event there has has to be a lot of planning and national judges at the show with AACA forms being used to judge the cars.

So from what I can tell you received a 1st place award but did you ever get an AACA national first brass oval with the year on the edge of the brass oval plack?  These are only awarded at NAtional events and not local events, But congradulation on getting a 1st place award but this is not an AACA Senior NAtional Award so be careful on how you  present the award ecsue you could mislead a potentail buyer of your car. Just trying to provide information about the award.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

Hi Rich, 

Don’t worry, I do not take my first place seriously.  I actually think that it was a silly award. There were 50-60 cars at the show and nearly everyone went home with a first place award for something.  I know that many people take AACA shows seriously and enjoy the competition, but the myriad classes and arcane rules are not my cup of tee.  That said, I must admit that I enjoyed that show very much.  It was held on a beautiful summer day at a beautiful waterfront location on Pamlico Sound.  There were many interesting cars to look at and many interesting people to to talk to.  ... And At that time, at that place, I had the best 1946-48 non-modified American made car that is not a Ford, ... and I have the plaque to prove it! ?

Edited by busycoupe
  • Thanks 1