engine studs and gearbox gasket set

bluefoxamazone

howdie folks,

I am planning to remove the exhaust manifold coming winter on the Cranbrook '53. Can someone help me on what to look for here in europe when I want to replace the threaded studs. I can off course put a metric stud in but I rather put new original studs in. So what size to look for...? Ordering in the US is a no go...

Also what is a good source for the manifold gaskets?

I am also looking for a gasket set to take care of some oil leakage from the transmission. It is a trans with an overdrive but other than that I have no idea on further specifications...

Als always,

Thanks a lot and keep them rolling....

Franky

Edited by bluefoxamazone

Franky, Franky................METRIC!!!!!!...........NO!............those threaded studs are UNC, Unified Coarse Thread, where they screw into the block with UNF, Unified Fine Threads on the other end that the nut screws onto to hold the manifolds to the block.........these are completely different to metric and if you want to stuff up things then thats a good way to do it......DO NOT PUT METRIC STUDS, BOLTS OR NUTS on the car.........they will not fit............these studs are 5/16th and are a common size for this application......why can't you order from the USA???.......surely if you can't order direct yourself someone on here should be able to get the parts and send them for you and you just pay them...........what part is leaking.......the transmission or the Overdrive?............they are two separate things .............btw as a final word on the metric idea...........what are those things at the end of your legs Franky?..........metres or FEET?.........forget metrics, with US cars they just don't exist, metrics, that is...........lol.............regards...........andyd  

10 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

howdie folks,

I am planning to remove the exhaust manifold coming winter on the Cranbrook '53. Can someone help me on what to look for here in europe when I want to replace the threaded studs. I can off course put a metric stud in but I rather put new original studs in. So what size to look for...? Ordering in the US is a no go...

Also what is a good source for the manifold gaskets?

Thanks a lot and keep them rolling....

Franky

Hey Franky, although I am much more familiar with metrics, I also would not think about put them into the engine, transmission, etc..

No problem to fix the floorboards with metric bolts. Just my opinion ...

I ordered  the manifold studs as a set in the US. Bolts, conical lock washers, nuts. Not horrible expensive items and not too much shipping and customs fees. Hmm, whatever inexpensive means ... but not worth the effort to bore and threading the holes in the block. And you would need the correct (metric )bolts in addition anyway.

I also have tried to get manifold gaskets or at least the right gasket material for fabricating them here in Germany. Of course you can get them, but more expensive than order them yourself in the US.

Sorry, if that should not be the right answer !?

Good luck, Jan

hey Andy understood... :-) 

Its about time someone makes a decission on this... globalisation is very much needed here... 5/16" wtf...9/16th...7/8 this all means nothing to us Europeans....

Metric is so much easier... and... it would make my life so much ... oh well... nothing is going to change... :-)

About the gasket set. I would like to review the whole thing. Transmission AND overdrive.

grtz

1 minute ago, PT81Jan said:

Hey Franky, although I am much more familiar with metrics, I also would not think about put them into the engine, transmission, etc..

No problem to fix the floorboards with metric bolts. Just my opinion ...

I ordered  the manifold studs as a set in the US. Bolts, conical lock washers, nuts. Not horrible expensive items and not too much shipping and customs fees. Hmm, whatever inexpensive means ... but not worth the effort to bore and threading the holes in the block. And you would need the correct (metric )bolts in addition anyway.

I also have tried to get manifold gaskets or at least the right gasket material for fabricating them here in Germany. Of course you can get them, but more expensive than order them yourself in the US.

Sorry, if that should not be the right answer !?

Good luck, Jan

you' re right Jan. I was hoping that someone had a European source... I am tired of paying customs- and high shipment fees...

Where did you buy the studs, just in case that I can't find them here?

grtz;

5 minutes ago, bluefoxamazone said:

you' re right Jan. I was hoping that someone had a European source... I am tired of paying customs- and high shipment fees...

Where did you buy the studs, just in case that I can't find them here?

grtz;

I have ordered both, the bolt set and gaskets at Bernbaums -> https://www.oldmoparts.com/parts.aspx

Some here in Europe recommend Rockauto due to moderate costs -> https://www.rockauto.com/de/catalog/plymouth,1953,cranbrook,3.6l+218cid+l6,1349827

Here a previous post where I attached a picture that shows the bolt set and gaskets -> http://p15-d24.com/topic/46957-brass-manifold-nuts-and-washers/?tab=comments#comment-498478

I guess if the UNC and UNF get to be too much for you you could sell the American car and buy an old Volvo or Saab  ??

We Americans have had to get used to metric nuts and bolts as most vehicles are now either half and half ( ?) UNF/UNC /metric or all metric!

Most part time mechanics here hate the metrics, we know nothing about figuring out the sizing either! ?. I have one box of metric nuts and bolts from various projects, but seldom have what I need for use_ _ _ Another trip to the hardware store to attempt to match or guess what I need and often buy a assortment of metrics and hope I guessed good!

DJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

hey Andy understood... ?

Its about time someone makes a decission on this... globalisation is very much needed here... 5/16" wtf...9/16th...7/8 this all means nothing to us Europeans....

Metric is so much easier... and... it would make my life so much ... oh well... nothing is going to change... ?

About the gasket set. I would like to review the whole thing. Transmission AND overdrive.

grtz

metric is only easy as that is what you grew up and are accustomed to working with, here in the US the metric system is to us what the SAE is to you...sadly all the later stuff is going metic but these old cars will be forever haunting you with fractional sizes....embrace it with gusto...

• Like 1

Franky...........just remember whats on the bottom of your legs........feet............lol............andyd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah......I see you are back on the meds again..........lol..........andyd

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

I guess if the UNC and UNF get to be too much for you you could sell the American car and buy an old Volvo or Saab  ??

We Americans have had to get used to metric nuts and bolts as most vehicles are now either half and half ( ?) UNF/UNC /metric or all metric!

Most part time mechanics here hate the metrics, we know nothing about figuring out the sizing either! ?. I have one box of metric nuts and bolts from various projects, but seldom have what I need for use_ _ _ Another trip to the hardware store to attempt to match or guess what I need and often buy a assortment of metrics and hope I guessed good!

DJ

would you believe this... I once had a Volvo amazon... The first thing I had to buy was a box of imperial size wrenches... :-)

Edited by bluefoxamazone
  • Like 1

I don't understand why SAE hardware would be so hard to find in Europe  since both it and metric are available here.  I know US made auto's, machinery and other things made of metal  using SAE hardware have been shipped to Europe since dirt was young.  I've never been to Europe, I've heard a junkyard is a rare thing there.  If you ever were to visit a junkyard  you might be able to rob an old American  made auto of much spare hardware if they are any to be had. 

3 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I don't understand why SAE hardware would be so hard to find in Europe  since both it and metric are available here.  I know US made auto's, machinery and other things made of metal  using SAE hardware have been shipped to Europe since dirt was young.  I've never been to Europe, I've heard a junkyard is a rare thing there.  If you ever were to visit a junkyard  you might be able to rob an old American  made auto of much spare hardware if they are any to be had. 

hi, a junk yard is nowerdays a rare thing. Years ago they were not... but American made cars are even rarer over here.

And... I am looking for new parts. Old parts I have on my car myself... ;-). I don't mind buying stuff in the US, but if I buy a waterpump for example it will cost me more than double due to shipping fee and custom taxes.

I would like to buy some heavy stuff... studs and nuts, wheel brake cilinders, clutch... this will cost me an arm and a legg....:-(  grtz

Hi Franky,

The last 230 I built, I pulled out the head bolts, measured them, then contacted ARP to get the head/block fully fitted with studs.  If I had more time, I would tear an engine down for you to get the correct sizes researched.  I kinda need to do it anyway.  And this time, WRITE IT DOWN....   I am silly for not doing that in the first place.

As far as transmission gaskets go...  I am trying to remember if it was a company named "north" or "best"...  Hmmm. I will try to find that for you if I can.

3 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

great info thanks, now I have to figure out what type of gearbox/overdrive I have... would it be the " Warner T-86 w/ overdrive " in the Cranbrook ???

Send in some pictures, one of us here may be able to help you identify the transmission.

1 hour ago, classiccarjack said:

Send in some pictures, one of us here may be able to help you identify the transmission.

ok, ill try to get under it if my belly allows it... from what I have learned so far it is most likely an R10 B&W overdrive... can this be right?

grtz

Bluefox........in all seriousness have you given any thought to making a few of those heater ducts then selling them to raise some cash or maybe even working out some sort of swap for the parts etc you need............and it sounds like you need to stop eating that Belgium Chocolate.............lol..............I have a 46 to 54 Shop manual that includes all the rebuild specs etc for the O/d trans but it doesn't have the gearbox or O/d serial or part numbers...........I can copy and post the info via snail mail if wanted.........too much to scan tho'..........regards, andyd

• Thanks 1