minivan wheels on a P15 to move it?

Eneto-55

Does anyone know if I can use wheels & tires off of a 93 Chrysler Town & Country to move a P15?  I know the offset is really different, and I doubt that it would work to actually drive it that way, but I just need tires that hold air to move it.  (I'm thinking that the tires would hit the inner fender well in the rear, and probably hit something in the front, too, but thought someone here might have tired this already.)

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit:  Oh, I know already. Obviously it won't work, because the wheels do not have the guide pin hole.

Edited by Eneto-55
Realized the answer....

30 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

Does anyone know if I can use wheels & tires off of a 93 Chrysler Town & Country to move a P15?  I know the offset is really different, and I doubt that it would work to actually drive it that way, but I just need tires that hold air to move it.  (I'm thinking that the tires would hit the inner fender well in the rear, and probably hit something in the front, too, but thought someone here might have tired this already.)

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit:  Oh, I know already. Obviously it won't work, because the wheels do not have the guide pin hole.

I'm old,so I do things the easy way these days. When I need wheels and tires to move a old car that has bad tires that won't hold air,I just go to the local crusher and buy tires already mounted on wheels and holding air for 10 bucks each. I have actually bought mounted radial whitewalls for 10 bucks each that had been full-sized spares and never mounted on the car. Not a bad price for new tires already mounted on wheels.

Don't worry about the locating pin. Just take your drill and drill a hole in each new wheel for the pin to fit though.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

not sure if this helps, I ran 15 in Dodge Caravan rims on the rear of my 51 Belvedere so I could put some wider tires on the car, tried to put them on the front but they were too deep of an offset and you couldn't turn the steering wheel with them on it , they were right up against the frame rail

Thanks for all of the feedback.  My wheels are the aluminum ones, so I don't really want to drill holes in them.  But I do have one of those dummy spares (16") - that should be narrow enough to not rub, right?  I would think that the salvages should have a lot of those, unless they scrap them as soon as they come in.  (The wheels on my current drivers are a larger bolt pattern, so I can't use the spares off of them.  -  09 Dodge Journey & a 2010 Caravan)

1 hour ago, Eneto-55 said:

Thanks for all of the feedback.  My wheels are the aluminum ones, so I don't really want to drill holes in them.  But I do have one of those dummy spares (16") - that should be narrow enough to not rub, right?  I would think that the salvages should have a lot of those, unless they scrap them as soon as they come in.  (The wheels on my current drivers are a larger bolt pattern, so I can't use the spares off of them.  -  09 Dodge Journey & a 2010 Caravan)

Pretty much any Ford,AMC,or Mopar  passenger car and most pu wheels from 1951 to the 80's will bolt right on if you drill a hole between two lug holes for the locator pin. They all use the same 4-1/2 inch bolt pattern. If you have to buy wheels,buy them from a 70's or newer so you get wheels that will work with disc brakes in case you ever have to use them on a disc brake car.

33 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I believe by 2010 Caravan had gone to the 5 inch bolt pattern...

Yeah, that's right.  Both the 2009 Journey and the 2010 Caravan are the 5 inch.  (The Journey runs 16s, and the Caravan runs 17s, but otherwise they would interchange, except I'm not sure about the offset.  I think by the 2nd year of the Journey production they switched to larger brakes, so those require at least 17s.) Seem like now-a-days about every vehicle has different offset, or even different bolt pattern.

24 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

Yeah, that's right.  Both the 2009 Journey and the 2010 Caravan are the 5 inch.  (The Journey runs 16s, and the Caravan runs 17s, but otherwise they would interchange, except I'm not sure about the offset.  I think by the 2nd year of the Journey production they switched to larger brakes, so those require at least 17s.) Seem like now-a-days about every vehicle has different offset, or even different bolt pattern.

It doesn't matter. Almost nobody keeps one long enough to buy new tires these days,and by the time the second set is worn out the cars have depreciated so much new tires are worth more than they are.

Edited by knuckleharley

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the car has moved 900 miles from its former home in Oklahoma to Ohio.  Moved the 49 P15 parts car around 100 miles west, to my brother's place.  I actually didn't need any other tires.  The old ones I had on it back in 1980 when I started this project still hold air.  Aired up a spare that had been in the trunk of the 49 (sitting outside) since 80 or 81 (a wheel & tire that came with the 46) and it held air just fine.  Good old tubes.  Could you do that with a tubeless tire after that long?

These new tires aren't made to last that long. I think they must make them out of a compound that is designed to breakdown after a certain amount of time. I bought a tube a few years back from the local farm store that said made in China. I put it in a tire and wheel assembly, aired it up and it held air for about 30 seconds then split down the seam. I looked at the old tube and found that on old patch had turned loose so I cleaned it up put a new patch on and reinstalled it. It still holds air to this day. I don't know the exact age of the tire and tube but they look to have been made in or before the sixties.

Edited by Silverdome

Same thing with new tires. If they are more than 5 years old,you need to throw them away regardless of how few miles they have on them because they WILL blow out when they get hot.

This is the big reason I am considering selling my trailer. I don't use it very often anymore,and it has now gotten to the point where it's cheaper to just rent a U-Haul trailer when I need one than it is to buy 4 new tires for mine and have them mounted and balanced.

Yeah, speaking of trailer tires.  We borrowed a trailer for this trip, and both tires on the left side blew out, one on the way to Oklahoma, and the other on the way back.  We inspected them after the first one blew, and the later one already had some cracks.  I was going 70 when the first one blew, with my 2010 Dodge Caravan on the trailer.  I was actually surprised it handled as well as it did after it blew.

a properly loaded trailer can be pretty stable even with a blowout....4 wheel trailers ever more so...while length of trailer compared to towing vehicle can increase instability especially passing semi's and cross winds...if this is a common scenario for you, do consider the use of an equalizer...swaying from improperly loaded trailer is the leading cause of incidents..not enough tongue weight.....concentrated weight behind the axle of the trailer...

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

a properly loaded trailer can be pretty stable even with a blowout....4 wheel trailers ever more so...while length of trailer compared to towing vehicle can increase instability especially passing semi's and cross winds...if this is a common scenario for you, do consider the use of an equalizer...swaying from improperly loaded trailer is the leading cause of incidents..not enough tongue weight.....concentrated weight behind the axle of the trailer...

My son-in-law supervised the loading (at both ends of this trip, and for the other P15 we moved to my brother's place inside of Oklahoma), and he has years of hauling experience, mostly with trusses on a semi trailer, but with cars and tractors as well.  He obviously did a good job of it.

1 hour ago, Eneto-55 said:

Yeah, speaking of trailer tires.  We borrowed a trailer for this trip, and both tires on the left side blew out, one on the way to Oklahoma, and the other on the way back.  We inspected them after the first one blew, and the later one already had some cracks.  I was going 70 when the first one blew, with my 2010 Dodge Caravan on the trailer.  I was actually surprised it handled as well as it did after it blew.

You actually loaded a antique car on a trailer and then pulled the trailer at 70 MPH KNOWING the trailer tires had cracks in them??????

You need to start buying lottery tickets.

4 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

You actually loaded a antique car on a trailer and then pulled the trailer at 70 MPH KNOWING the trailer tires had cracks in them??????

You need to start buying lottery tickets.

Just one.  And the other tire on that side was a new 10 ply.  And when I was going 70 & the first tire blew, my 2010 Caravan was on the trailer.  It handled fine, but that was the time when there was danger of the second tire on that side going as well, because it was the one that we later realized had small cracks.  I'm just a poor boy, or I would have my own truck & trailer, or would have rented an enclosed one.  This was just a flat bed.  (We wrapped the car for the move, because the windows are out.)    I guess I should have kept my mouth shut about the blow outs - now people think I'm crazy.  Oh well, it may be true....  (It is also possible that the tire failures, including the cracks, were caused by the poor road conditions - I-70 is in pretty bad shape in some sections between Columbus & St Louis.)