Bright dash lights

insaneradio

I have been dissastified using the original type 55 bulbs in the dash.  I opted to use type 63.  They only draw an additional 20mA each but provide over twice the candlepower.  I even went one step further and purchased one of these to try. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-1946-1947-1948-extra-bright-tail-light-bulb-63-replacement-6-volt-63/161410757417?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649  I changed the left bulb and have ordered another to replace the 63 in the right position.

I am very satisfied! It worked VERY well !  One can definitely see the color change of the speedo as you accelerate!!

rsz_20180601_220138[1].jpg

Edited by insaneradio
  • Like 2

Interesting Don!!  I am aware of switch, however mine simply turns dash light on or off.  All these years I thought the purpose of the switch was just that----an on and off switch.  So you say it is a dimmer switch!!!  I never new!!  I will have to investigate further!!

Thank you!!

7 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Are you aware of this switch located under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. This switch is for adjustment of the dash light brightness. It is a two position switch one for dim and the other for dimmer.

switch1.jpg

Thanks,Don. I have no idea what anyone else knew,but I never had a clue that was what it was for. I had been guessing for something like fog lights,or a underhood light.

10 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Are you aware of this switch located under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. This switch is for adjustment of the dash light brightness. It is a two position switch one for dim and the other for dimmer.

switch1.jpg

I certainly do not wish to be augmentative Don but after checking a few things I believe you may be mistaken.  I removed my switch and found no resistive component to its operation, in which there would have to be if it operated as you described.  I then went and read my vehicle owners manual/  It simply states "on" and "off", which is how mine operates.  If you could find documentation that states otherwiswes I would be very interested!!

rsz_1rsz_20180602_091757[1].jpg

When we first got our’46 Plymouth, that switch worked exactly as Don Coatney described. When I rewired the car (still retaining the 6v-negative ground) with a Ron Francis Wire Works harness, I utilized a “contemporary” light switch which I had to relocate into the small stainless steel panel below the dash.

My car a base deluxe with very few options, heater, cigar lighter, passenger side windshield wiper, and passenger interior sunvisor, has a three position switch. Center off, left barely visible, and right somewhat brighter, 

I imagine whichever employee had the job of selecting and installing the switch just put in what was closest to hand, or in the deepest bin. These seems to be no rhyme or reason as to whatmadel or body style got which switch.  

Maybe others will add how there car is equipped.  

Another reason for dim lights is 65+ years of dust.  Pull them out and clean them off, then let us know if there is a difference worth the contortions needed to work under the dash.

per the shop manual, Lighting System, page 104 Data and Specifications, in the chart supplied, please note for the 1946-48 P15 it states a three position fixed resistance switch for Instrument Lighting Control   I would think that anyone not having said application has an alternate switch.or if three position and not actually displaying dimmer off dim positions, they may well have their feed line attached incorrectly..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I found a identical spare switch in my "stash".  I disassembled to inspect the internal contacts and construction.  There is no way this particular switch, being the way it is configured could ever be anything but an "on" and "off" switch.  Referencing the picture the rear most spring contact on the switch arm remains stationary.  The lever moves the forward most spring contact between the two fixed contact points.  One of the fixed contact points is unused, there is no screw terminal to this contact point.  Whereas the other fixed contact point does connect to a screw terminal.

Bottom line-----In my application it simply turns dash lights on or off----no dimming.?

rsz_20180602_225659[1].jpg

Edited by insaneradio

I am chiming in here also in saying the one on my 48 P15 is also just the on and off one. I could never figure out why anyone would want to cut the dash lights completely out and why they even put a switch in like that. I never knew it was supposed to work as Don says who knows maybe it was changed out before I got the car by the owner before me. On my light switch there was a way you could turn the knob like it would dim the dash lights but it never worked either. I have since changed the light switch but it only turns the lights in the dash and head lights on or off. Oh well we learn something new every day here on the forum. 

My curiosity overwhelmed me, so I checked the original switch from our ’46 with a 6v bulb, and it does work with a “dim, and dimmer” operation, vs just “on/off”. My curiosity regarding our switch is satisfied, but regarding other peoples “on/off” switches in lieu of the “dim, and dimmer” switches—my curiosity is still piqued.

5 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

My curiosity overwhelmed me, so I checked the original switch from our ’46 with a 6v bulb, and it does work with a “dim, and dimmer” operation, vs just “on/off”. My curiosity regarding our switch is satisfied, but regarding other peoples “on/off” switches in lieu of the “dim, and dimmer” switches—my curiosity is still piqued.

Could you please post a picture of your switch??

Wow great thread!  I would suspect some of us who didn't even know about the switch would think the dash lights were shorted out or had broken bulbs if their switch was turned to "off".  I'm going to try the brighter bulbs in my "50 Ford pickup to see if they make a difference.  Now that I"m educated I don't feel like a "dim" bulb anymore!  ?

• Like 1

Insaneradio,

Now, my friend, you’re pulling me out of my comfort zone—I’m “electronically challenged”, and I don’t have a camera that will do that, nor do I know how to put a photo into this site. I can deal with Word documents, including photos saved as Word documents, but that’s about as far as it goes. Sorry ‘bout that . . .  Warmest personal regards.

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

Insaneradio,

Now, my friend, you’re pulling me out of my comfort zone—I’m “electronically challenged”, and I don’t have a camera that will do that, nor do I know how to put a photo into this site. I can deal with Word documents, including photos saved as Word documents, but that’s about as far as it goes. Sorry ‘bout that . . .  Warmest personal regards.

That is okay!??